And today I did......

The Ken":28nzjjo0 said:
Stunning Si, is France a holiday or a race?

Both. We are going to Le Mans Classic 24hr. Its also Alfa centenary celebration. Really looking forward to stretching its legs down the Route Nationales :cool:
Two weeks today we will be at the circuit.

Si

Cool, very jealous.

So how much does a ground up restoration cost nowadays? Thinking more my A40 than anything as lush as the Alfa, He's 50 next year and still on bricks.

I don't know what the parts availability is like on Austins tbh. I'm going to do a few more of these Alfa's- I'm talking to a guy at Le mans about building him one. Depending on spec a rough breakdown is as follows...

Prices based on series 2 1750/2000 GTV. Add 20% for series 1 step front Sprint.

Donor Car £1000 to £3000
Rebuilt body (in steel minus paint- add £10,000 for alloy GTA spec) £8500
Engine, Box and axle £10,000- 30,000 depending on spec
other parts £11,000- 15-000
labour 400 hours £14,000

so around £40,000 to £60k for a turn-key car. Not cheap but real GTA's have gone past £120,000 now. It will never depreciate and you won't see another one on the road every day ;)

Damn and I was hoping to buy that alfa once you were finished with it, I was aiming more at the 5k restoration target if I got someone else to do it, I guess I'm going to have to get greasy.

Parts for the a40 are easy to get as they share a lot with mini's and MG midgets - only the propshaft and rear axles are the only mechanicals parts that are truely unique, the hardest part to get now are halfshafts as supply has dried up so they generally come from donor cars.

I have 1 broken half shaft but could do with the whole axle as it is siezed. I also need new front kingpins, A-frames and shocks but they are easy as they come from MG's

I was going to rebuild it to touring rally spec, got a twin SU with downflow manifold, the cages are easy to come by and fit and you don't need to remove the rear seats to fit them.

Today in prep for Strathpuff I built the £10 Raleigh MTB Team up into a rather nice SS, it looks good and handles relaxed which hopefully means I'll no die out there :LOL:

Hopefully Kaiser will take a nice photie of it at the event ;)

Not planning a restoration on a classic car but always on the lookout for a 1970's or older Reliant in good but cheap nick :roll:

Si you car is verra nice :cool:

the alfas looking great si ;)

today i fitted some new cranks :D

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

had day 2 of me hols in the workshop (busmans holiday )

got a few jobs out the way
then realised the easy (lazy) way to do the yokes for a mates trike was to convert my lathe into a horizontal borer ,power feed carrige stop etc
and this frees me up to do summat else

works like a dream too ,giving me time to tidy up ,get my tdr 250 put back together and learn more about the intricacies of pulstar hubs ,third back hub i've opened and the third way of doing it ,one more to go ,maybee a 4th way ?
then wifey came home and i told her there was nothing in for tea and she'd need to go to asdas or morrisons ,so off she went
she returned about an hour later
whats you get for tea then ? says I
ohh i got this then got bored so i went to focus
she hands me an asda bag
ready steady cook here we come ...

a cucumber some mini tomatoes ,so a salad then

is that it ?

no i got these shoes too
she holds out some leopard print stillettos

hmmm let me see them on then

kebeb in an hour ,after

ooh your such a tease