And today I did......

Re:

Not sure where you get £12 hydraulic rim brakes as mine cost £43. Front brake is basic Shimano hydraulic disc brake although a hope mini and some giant mph lurk In my parts bins.

Re: Re:

velomaniac":2icck1pf said:
some giant mph lurk In my parts bins.

Best place for them apart from in an actual bin.
Hateful things. Mate had nothing but problems with them when they were new, never mind with 20 year old seals.

Re:

Ummmm doesn't say much for Hope Mini's then either since MPH's are copies of both descend from the same Hope brake. Might explain why so many Hope Mini's are often for sale on fleabag, nobody wants them. I have a seized set of Mini's I keep if only to claim I have Hope brakes

Re:

Nah, the Giants were copies of the original C2 except with the master cylinder mounted horizontally. When I used to race DH you had to start the race with the adjuster as far out as possible because by the bottom they were that pumped the pads would rub otherwise.

Mini was a much better open cylinder design. Actually preferred them to the monos that replaced them. Last set of Mono minis put me off Hope brakes for good.

clubby":c6ccx8c0 said:
velomaniac":c6ccx8c0 said:
some giant mph lurk In my parts bins.

Best place for them apart from in an actual bin.
Hateful things. Mate had nothing but problems with them when they were new, never mind with 20 year old seals.

I had the Giant MPH's on a Zaskar a few years back, I actually found them perfectly OK, and they were a damn sight cheaper than Hope too.

All I'll say is that if you want to try cooling off your MPH disc rotors after descending
Mount Keen then DO NOT use orange flavoured energy drink! The howling from the brakes afterwards could be heard 3 Glen's over! :LOL:

Giant :? MPH :?

:?

step 1 .. loosen the lever and tilt the lever upwards so the bleed screw (on the top of the lever is level)

step 2 .. undo the torx screw on the top of the lever (bleed screw)

step 3.. on the caliper there is a bleed nipple with a rubber cap , remove rubber cap

step 4.. fill a syringe (20ml) with MINERAL OIL and connect a small length of tube/hose on the end of the syringe

step 5.. place a 7mm ring spanner on the bleed nipple and secure the tube/hose with the syringe attached to the nipple.

step 6 .. place some tissue of kitchen towel or something to absorb fluid around the caliper in case any fluid is split.

step 7.. push the syringe so the fluid enters the system and starts coming out of the lever bleed screw (place a bucket or something on handle bars to catch the fluid) you should see some bubbles of air escaping , when you stop seeing air escaping and the fluid is continuous tighten the bleed nipple with the 7mm spanner and stop applying pressure to the syringe and quickly put the torx screw back in to the lever and do up reasonably tight.

step 8.. wipe off any excess brake fluid and spray with water.

step 9.. reposition the lever again so this time the top of the reservoir is level with the ground and pump the lever until the lever starts going harder and harder and then it should feel very sharp.

step 10 .. reposition the lever again so you can remove the torx screw on the lever and top up the lever with fluid (with the syringe)

repeat steps 9 and 10 , 2 or three times to make sure there is absolutely no air left in the system ..

My :D That sounds fun :D

With Hope its UK made. All parts available.

@Jim. Ive a nos pair of minis here ;) a 3 and a 5 though I can do 2 5's or either and a post mount. The one I was offering to V I think is a nos caliper on a nice conditioned lever.

If you are in the market Jim, Ive a mint set of mini m4 No3 and /mini No3. Lovely condition. All pistons work with so much as the tiniest lever movement. Spot on.

Odd you dont rate the monos. I'm using them on the cove right now and performance wise is excellent. Were you using them from new ?.

Took the fripperies off my BMW R100RT.

What a piece of crap design that fairing is from the viewpoint of accessibility. I was tempted to saw it off but restrained myself. It came off eventually but at the expense assorted fresh meat off my knuckles.

I should have been riding my bike instead, but this was a guilt job I've been putting off.

Today I wasted my time building wheel!

As one of my lock down projects, I am re arranging all my Hubs, rims and spokes! Over the years all my wheels have become very mish mashed. Non paired rims on wheels, different types of spokes between front and rears, different coloured nipples etc. So after a lot of searching and driving and postage costs, I finally am almost there. I have dismantled and rebuilt what seems like a lot of wheels and sometimes for almost trivial things (nipple colour change) and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Today I built what should have been my penultimate wheel. Managed to wangle a delivery of spokes from my LBS which was an effort.
Finish lacing the wheel only to realise that the LBS had given me an assortment of different nipples! :x :x :x :x
Logic says to ignore it, who is going to notice anyway??? But the whole point of the exercise was to sort out the oddments of wheels that I had!
Cant go back to LBS to sort it because of the lock down, so new box of alloy nipples order from fleabay. Only have to wait best part of a week before they will probably arrive. Oh well, now I will have to rebuild the front from this pair too just to put matching nipples on it.
The chore of having too much time on your hands.
On a better note, just had a frame back from being blasted, time to get prepping for paint.

velomaniac":17ehy6xo said:
...Please be glad I am trying to still be involved and stop raining on my parade.
Mate, I can't imagine anyone here who would do that deliberately. You are well respected and a good person.

Back