And today I did......

Re: Re:

clubby":3ehah9ia said:
Just shows a lack of riding skill Jimo. I on the other hand easily managed to miss a suicudal toad at Tentsmuir, last time out AND that was with a 2.8 on the front ;)

Aye, but only because you were going so slow the toad had time to mature from tadpole to adult, and then waddle out of your path before your tractor tyres arrived on the scene :LOL:

Re: Re:

jimo746":p7x5famq said:
clubby":p7x5famq said:
Just shows a lack of riding skill Jimo. I on the other hand easily managed to miss a suicudal toad at Tentsmuir, last time out AND that was with a 2.8 on the front ;)

Aye, but only because you were going so slow the toad had time to mature from tadpole to adult, and then waddle out of your path before your tractor tyres arrived on the scene :LOL:

Bitch

Lovely day down here with very light winds for once. Nice long lie, then cooked Sharron breakfast before riding out to Monifieth while she fed the wean. Met up with them and went for a wee walk before riding home. Not the most miles, but nice to get the legs spinning.
Given me a few ideas for the next edition of Clubbytrails as well.

Re:

Sounds like a good day Clubby.
No riding for me today, we went up to Newburgh to see the seals.
We should maybe look at resurrecting MacDuro sometime this year too.

Re:

Being a cyclist you often dream of a puncture free utopia which in the world of pneumatic tyres never truly exists. So what about solid tyres says I, well they're rubbish also says I because I have had one before on my recumbent and in the wet it was.......interesting !

However a month or so ago I took the plunge and went down this road again but this time I tried a slightly different approach, I have a conventional tyred bike with a solid inner tube by a company called stop-a-flat. Wee bit of a bugger to fit but done successfully fitted to the rear of my hybrid. Now I expected it to be a very firm ride which it is but I never thought I'd actually like it. The wheels rotational mass increases but I have plenty gears and literally you can stab the wheel with nails. thorns, broken glass etc and it just keeps rolling as no air is involved.

So why is this in the "Today I Did" section ? Because today I bought another solid tube for the front wheel. My semi modern recumbent has gone a long way back in time to the pre pneumatic age. I have retro retrofitted my bike.

Further in perhaps a moment of madness I have also bought a cheapo chinese set of 700c x 23 Airless tyres for an old skinny tyred road bike I have. This may very well be much less satisfactory but a suspension stem and seatpost should isolate me a wee bit from the expected harshness. Here is hoping for dry weather as airless tyres tend not to be too good from a grip perspective in the wet.

I will report my findings for both sets later :)

Do you come across thorns, nails and broken glass normally on a commuting recumbent ?.
Are they not just implying a problem that doesnt usually exist unless a bizarre set of circumstances are in place. You can carry or fit a wider range if we keep thinking something must happen.
Any puncture is going to be down to not checking tyres or a rare instance of an object in the roadway. And for this rare occurrence is it worth the down sides of a solid tyre. Especially given tyres are designed to run at a certain pressure in certain conditions. Something solid, does that not negate that design :?

Re:

If you took the attitude " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" then nothing would ever change. Solid metal tyres cart wheels were tried and tested, so why try anything different. Because maybe something can be gained by change eg pneumatic tyres were a change and it took some time to get it right. Airless tyres are an attempt at something different and although its not there yet why shout it down as a stupid idea. Don't get stuck in your ways, the past has a lot going for it but so has the here and now as well as the potential of the future.

Re:

I can see what dyna is getting at, why sacrifice performance for the convenience of no punctures? Especially as, in general, punctures are so infrequent. OK for lots of us tubeless is a messy faff but you can get stuff to put in a tube to seal punctures, can't you?
This would fill me with dread "Here is hoping for dry weather as airless tyres tend not to be too good from a grip perspective in the wet." We live in Scotland, good luck with it being dry.... Offroad it doesn't bother me too much about skiting and falling off in wet/muddy conditions but on the road, on wet tarmac, with a big feck aff bus behind you? Feck that. :roll:
You've gone back to the solid cart wheel era I would suggest.

Back