And today I did......

The History Man":373e8fqc said:
Is it catching? Have spent the summer having various scans and my insides explored from both ends culminating in a little op. At least i now have a diagnosis following biopsies and pain management. Hardly done any riding since my tour. Was determined to complete it before I gave in to the quacks.

Might get out for a very short ride today as I'm feeling a bit less delicate. Only worked 3 days since july.
That's not no good :?

The scary bit was that the abdominal pain was unrelated to activity so I knew it wasn't just fitness or muscle related. Was in a bit of denial not wanting to deal with it until now, self medicating, fearing the worst. Luckily all i have long-term is a serious case of diverticular disease and am supposed to take it easy for a bit.

Hasn't stopped me building in building in short bursts of tastelessness though!

And i have a new found respect for the potholing community.

Re:

Must've been that tactical dismount you did on lap 2 of mayhem from the godawful modern bike.....you'd be right as rain now if you'd kept it retro ;)

That or you've gone into a decline since Frank left you :LOL:

Re:

Not long in from a night ride (on my own) :shock:
Did my mid week loop and that lovely picturesque wee wood that's on the loop ain't so picturesque in the dark, I never blinked from the time I went in till the time I came out. Just as well I'm a fully trained Ninja :cool:

Re:

Spent most of the afternoon "fixing" my neighbours MTB...

My worse half very kindly volunteered my services a couple of weekends ago to service the bike (a quite reasonable Trek 4300), which involved a few hours of cleaning the grottiest bike I've worked on in quite some time (It's used as a daily commuter bike). Payment was made in wine & beer :mrgreen:

I'd mentioned that the chain was fooked and probably the cassette too, so today I thought it'd be a 10 minute job to whip off and replace the chain and cassette.
Wrong!! :roll:
The cassette locking was stuck fast. Tried my usual cassette tool and chain whip, it didn't budge. Tried penetrating oil, "Shock + Unlock" spray, more leverage, the biggest hammer I could find, even got out the 1/2" breaker bar, all that happened was that i bent my chain whip beyond recognition :x

So, I called it a day and put the old chain back on. One afternoon and one X-Tools chain whip down the pan :facepalm:

Neighbour said he'd take the bike to the workshop at the University to see if they could free off the lockring.
I've never had any problems with the X-Tools chain whip and BBB cassette lockring spanner I've used for the last few years, until now, maybe time to invest in some Park tools?

Re:

Nah Jim, nothing wrong with either of those brands. Park is overpriced these days, I've broken a Park chain whip before.

Trek 4300 probably means that cassette has been on there 20 years with very little maintenance. People mean about lbs prices, but there's a reason they charge what they do. There's no such thing as s 5 minute job.

After I got home from our wee jaunt I spent half an hour ( and £480 :oops: ) sourcing a new set of fat bike size Minions and a 1x11 XT drivetrain and Race Face crank for the Pugsley. Can't really complain as I've had 5 years out of the original gears which is pretty damn good considering the crap I've put that bike through.

The History Man":19u4cjmr said:
And i have a new found respect for the potholing community.

:shock: :shock: there's a community ???

Attachments

• pothole3.jpg
    pothole3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 453
Back