And today I did......

zigzag":1xgep53b said:
So my Swift half-fat has a nutted axle DMR hub on the fat front wheel. It's a pain in the arse...

Use wingnuts (butterfly nuts). They're faster and tighter than QRs.

epicyclo":24j7jn7r said:
zigzag":24j7jn7r said:
So my Swift half-fat has a nutted axle DMR hub on the fat front wheel. It's a pain in the arse...

Use wingnuts (butterfly nuts). They're faster and tighter than QRs.
Did not even occur to me...

:facepalm:

I use these on metric threaded hubs. They are beautifully made and you can use them on a fixie without worrying about them moving. You can get them from Practical Cycles.

http://practicalcycles.com/products/241 ... gnuts.aspx

everything.jpg

The BLB ones are the same as the Velo ones.

I also use the GB type because they fit the old British thread standards, and they are nice to tighten with the thumb bit, but they are not as strong as the Velo ones (based on me breaking one around 1965 :) )

I didn't realise they were still available new, mine are those I bought in the 60s - which kind of contradicts my strength claim, but I'm careful with them.

Re:

Just in from my origami class, what a brilliant night I was in "the zone" for a change :twisted:
My rollin & boxin wasn't to shabby :mrgreen:

Evening all.
I might replace the quick releases on my Pugsley with the butterfly nuts, especially after the faffing around that rear one gave me the other year. Is my train of thought right about this?
Clubby, that Saffron looks really really nice :)
I know your probably still taking it a bit easy off road but what are your thoughts? worth the wait I imagine :)
Jamie

If you have a hubs that take threaded axles you can fit wingnuts. A lot of modern hubs use press fit cartridge bearing type axles and some dont offer a threaded axle alternative. Old school hubs with cup and cone bearings were much more versatile.

Cheers Velo
I do have the alternative to buy Surlys conversion for my quick releases to solid threaded axles with bearings cones etc but its about £45 and I can pick up a new hub already fitted for about £65. I just bought new bearings for mine which are the same as the conversion, from CRC for £299 each :)
Thanks
Jamie

stripped down that Paul Donohue, ready for a de-greasing and clean. won a stem on ebay, started sourcing bars and a seat post (anyone got 90s road 44cm c-c bars or a 27.2mm 300mm long seat post btw).

looking forward to building this, tho the sti rebuild makes me nervous

going to have to have a clear out myself, for the sake of funding and space

Latest posts

Back