And today I did......

Spokes are 4-5 quid each, they are pretty tough wheels though, Ive never needed to fix a spoke or even true a wheel and my commute is filled with potholes.

Spent an hour yesterday transforming the Mojo from it's base 140mm set up to it's big beast 160mm guise. Was one of the reasons for going for that frame, saving me from "needing" a big travel bike that would only get used rarely. Predictably for what I spent last year on the shock and forks, I could have had a decent s/h long travel bike, but at least it saves space in the garage. 20mm difference might not sound like much, but (as you wives will confirm) it can make all the difference. Bike sits taller and softer and with the stiffer forks (Fox 36s) it just ploughs straight through rocks. On the downside, it does wallow a bit out of the saddle and isn't quite as nimble, but its definitely the set up for Whistler. Last time I went was on a 120mm bike and it wasn't ideal for the xc trails, never mind the bike park.

Today I headed up to Laggan to get it set up properly and to start pushing my comfort zone. Climb up the red route was a drag as usual but the back end felt very bouncy. A bit of tweaking, periscope down on the reverb and I headed down the upper red. And it felt, well crap actually. Just couldn't get into it and stalled going into a section of drops, ending up walking. A winter on retro and road bikes, and this thing felt alien, with the bouncy bits and massive bars. I then realised I was riding it as if it was a hardtail, weight up front trying to work the forks. Getting back on I stayed standing, weight back and heels dropped. Things started to click, but the back end still felt off. When I got to the bottom of the red I stuck some more air in the shock and headed back round to try again. Felt much better on the climb and a lot more confident on the descent. Took the short cut down the orange and had some lunch before going out for a lap of the full red. Upper red descent was great this time but by the time I reached the lower red descent I was knackered. Didn't help that it had changed hugely since last time. A lot of the natural sections have been replaced by lumpy rock pavements, not what I needing coming into it blind.

Strava results were quire pleasing. PRs on climbs and descents, so it might not feel any easier but I'm definitely fitter than last year. Still getting my arse kicked by Mr K on the climbing sections but got him on most of the downhills. Hoping his time on the final red section was done before all the rocky changes though as he's quite a bit quicker there. 8 weeks now until holiday, the hard work starts here. (yes I might have said that back in February but I mean it this time)

Re:

Good effort mate.

2nd weekly commute for me the morra. Fitted schwalbe marathon plus to the breezer and some ergon grips.

Troosers definitely a bit looser so the 70odd miles I put in last week are helping lol.

Of my two visits to Laggan, the most enjoyable was on a long travel forked full sus with the rear virtually locked out, it was a Scott all mountain demo bike. The most enjoyable format for you clubby seemed to be something similar. Even Big Eck who was with me for the Demo day felt the Scott if set up in DH mode, his usual flavour, was too wallowy for Laggan Red and the intermediate setting was more him, the rear lockout setting for me.

Re:

Certainly wouldn't want the rear locked out, but just trying to find the sweet spot. Bike in 140 mode is perfect for most of my riding but the extra travel helps with the stuff I ride on holiday. I'll end being overbiked for Glentress this weekend but need time on that set up.

Re:

Today I booked my car park space for stage 1 of Le Tour next Saturday. Going to Hawes and intend to watch the action on the Buttertub Pass which will be the steepest climb and hopefully where the riders are slowest !!

My lad Alistair is coming with me. Going down Friday evening and sleeping in the car. He's been well warned not to moan !! Will have the wee spirit burner for making rolls n sausage for breakfast.

Re: Re:

Hawmaw":106kznfb said:
Today I booked my car park space for stage 1 of Le Tour next Saturday. Going to Hawes and intend to watch the action on the Buttertub Pass which will be the steepest climb and hopefully where the riders are slowest !!

My lad Alistair is coming with me. Going down Friday evening and sleeping in the car. He's been well warned not to moan !! Will have the wee spirit burner for making rolls n sausage for breakfast.

Sounds good. Hopefully your lad will enjoy. :cool:

I'm half wondering if I will regret not going down to see it or if watching it on the telly will suffice. I did go and see the Kelloggs tour I think, in 1992 on the outskirts of Edinburgh. After standing in the drizzle at a road side for an hour, the 30 seconds it took for the peloton to pass has not made me keen to repeat watching in the flesh again. :LOL:

sounds good hawmaw, my mate was trying to punt on some spare tickets for the teams presentation which is probably the night before, let me know if you're interested

Hawmaw":1440xb9n said:
gmac123":1440xb9n said:
think I'm about to take the plunge on the ksyriums

I'm sure I read somewhere that replacing spokes on Ksyriums is difficult and expensive.

alot of these wheels have proprietary spokes, but they have a reputation of being relatively bombproof.

not hit the button on a wheelset, but back to the mavics, spent the last week researching the Chinese carbon wheels, but reckon I may go with the mavic's, although the reynolds stratus are now looking attractive.

Back