And today I did......

dyna-ti":dlmn1l68 said:
Tazio":dlmn1l68 said:
Is that a Tourney rear mech there?

The bike snobs are out ;) :LOL:
Eeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww a tourney

Now now Andy. Did I express disapproval?

Just curious as it is a seldom mentioned rear mech. Reassuringly indestructible.

Tazio":3uqgdmvm said:
dyna-ti":3uqgdmvm said:
Tazio":3uqgdmvm said:
Is that a Tourney rear mech there?

The bike snobs are out ;) :LOL:

Now now Andy. Did I express disapproval?

Just curious as it is a seldom mentioned rear mech. Reassuringly indestructible.

Only joshing :LOL:
Actually id also like to refute any claim that theyre robust, bust yes but not robust.

As no doubt youre aware im with bike station and we do now get a lot of the bottom of the range spesh, trek,fisher and so on. Decent enough makes but now sadly mass produced.
Nearly all of the lower end come with tourney and its the mechs that seem to wreck very quickly. Ive an stx thats 15 yrs old and the spring is still as strong as ever whereas the tourneys are slack as hell and you can tell from the general condition that its under or about a years worth of use.
Jockey wheels(Sorry :) Tension and guide pulleys dont seem to be too good and a number have arrived in missing them completely.

On this subject. As you can guess they have a lot of older and better mechs and one that certainly seems robust enough is the Tourney
If anyone would like one i think we have a few of the first gen tourneys where its mostly alloy and steel. A couple of quid in the donations box is required(Via me )

It is. Works ok tbh. It was the only one to hand. Think a deore was going on but it vanished after i cleaned it up. The bike is made of donated parts. The forks an all bearings and tyres pads cables ect are new though. Its to big or i would buy it. Built it at a local comunity bike shop. Temped to try buy the wheels i realy like them super smooth an not cheap new

Well yesterday actually, adjusted the gears on the Voodoo after they mysteriously
went out of synch while the bike was sitting at work :roll:
So their working sweet again :D

Dyna-Ti typed:
[quoteThe bike snobs are out
][/quote]

Personally I've had crap XT kit and very serviceable Tourney. How well a used component works is very much dependent on what sort of life they've had up to the point you aquire them. Brand new XT will be quite a bit nicer, but battered and abused down the line there is no guarantee.

I found a cheapo mech once that according to www.disraeligears.com was a direct copy of 90's XT on a budget :LOL:

velomaniac":x0lqqf02 said:
Dyna-Ti typed:
[quoteThe bike snobs are out
]

Personally I've had crap XT kit and very serviceable Tourney. How well a used component works is very much dependent on what sort of life they've had up to the point you aquire them. Brand new XT will be quite a bit nicer, but battered and abused down the line there is no guarantee.

I found a cheapo mech once that according to http://www.disraeligears.com was a direct copy of 90's XT on a budget :LOL:[/quote]

V. The life the vast majority of the ones we get have had this life- 100miles maximum with sitting out in the rain(maybe under a tarp but still outside) The rest of these bikes are in ok condition. The tyres look and are still clean, the frame free from scratches but everything else is rusted, that included all the bolt heads showing, every bit of non painted or anodized metal is caked in rust. The mechs seem to suffer the most :?
I see at least 10 a day and ive been with them for a number of years.
Quality components last the test of time. Sure springs can be weakened but the most of it is very well made with attention paid so certain parts are stainless.
You get what you paid for :?

if anyone wants to see an xt on it feel free to buy the bike an fit one ;), ive seen cheap stuff better cond than godd stuff a fair few times as the good stuff gets used more, swings an roundabouts realy with used parts

Today- Lost TV signal :( No idea why but it just stopped working. Usual checks reveal nothing in the house so must have been an outside party maybe the builders working upstairs.
could mean a call out aerial guy :( money
Hope they dont come out and find it was the house above's issue. Them upstairs caused me over a years worth of hassle, i dont want any more issues with them :?

Back