Aluminium frame singlespeed conversion

BoingeyJon

Retro Newbie
My mate has got an old aluminium Merida mountain bike frame (from long before anybody had heard of them!) that he is thinking of converting to a singlespeed. But how easy would it be? I know most singlespeed conversions are steel frames - is converting an aluminium frame possible?

The only thing you cant do with an alloy frame for a single speed conversion is change the drop outs, some steel frames have the drop outs changed for rear entry ones, otherwise an alloy frame the same as converting a steel frame.

BTW there are tons of alloy single speed bikes out there, even some full sussers ;)

The only difference between setting up a single speed and setting up a standard geared affair,is you buy a single cog and spacers as opposed to a cassette,then take off your outer and inner chainrings ,take off the mechs and shifters
One of those surly tensioners completes the set up.
I've been meaning to build a SS for fun and to see what all this fuss is all about :? ,just never as yet got around to it.
Keep us posted with pics :D

I converted a 1999 Alu Cindercone a late last year - I've ridden it about 800 miles since, fully rigid.

It's worked out as a nice bike, so much so that I resprayed its frame from the ghastly beater appearance it had before :cool:

The big advantage is that you will get a stupidly light bike (21-22lb) even when using very ordinary components.
Link:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73875

BoingeyJon":1y8ixhm3 said:
I know most singlespeed conversions are steel frames - is converting an aluminium frame possible?

Yea, no problems.

I am currently riding a 1992 S-Works M2 rigid singlespeed.

+1

Got a modern stumpie singlespeeded with rigid forks and slicks....just flies on the road :D

Do you have to use a chain tensioner? Not sure if the drop outs can be altered (haven't seen the bike for a couple of years and can't say I spent much time looking at the drop outs anyway!).

How did the Pace fixie conversion work?

If the dropouts are vertical, chances are he'll need a tensioner. Unless your pal get's lucky of course. You can also get a 'half-link' for the chain, which might also help get the chain length right without resorting to a tensioner.

Back