When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Some more work underway for this bike:

IMG_9295.jpeg
IMG_9293.jpeg
drive side crank arm almost polished fully - something to do while I wait for the chain ring to be delivered from France

I may also have commissioned someone to put some disc mounts on 🤦🏻‍♂️

Purists look away!

IMG_9343.jpeg
IMG_9351.jpeg IMG_9354.jpeg

Forks steerer cut below the thread, shim welded in the middle and a threadless bar welded on top then smoothed. Threaded to threadless conversion done!

Disc mounts added to frame with support bar between the chain-stay and seat stay, fork mount added too.

I’m running avid BB7s for low maintenance reliable braking in all weather.

Tidying up to be done and paintwork next

Last edited:
You monster! Fancy attacking that beautiful bike with a grinder and then welding bits to it. I don’t know how you sleep at night 😆

I like the threaded to thread less mod, very creative and difficult to keep that tube straight. Can’t wait to see it with the paint done. Looking good so far 👍

You monster! Fancy attacking that beautiful bike with a grinder and then welding bits to it. I don’t know how you sleep at night 😆

I like the threaded to thread less mod, very creative and difficult to keep that tube straight. Can’t wait to see it with the paint done. Looking good so far 👍
Haha, I honestly had a such an argument with myself about doing this. But on the first ride post disc mounts, I knew I’d made something special.

Yep the fork conversion was a must, I tried a different set of forks but didn’t like the look, then tried a stem converter. It felt okay in terms of the controls, but I found that 1. I didn’t trust it for the riding I was doing and 2. It moved around to much for my liking! That and I was keen to keep the bike original 😆 (last comment was tongue in cheek!)

Haha, I honestly had a such an argument with myself about doing this. But on the first ride post disc mounts, I knew I’d made something special.

Yep the fork conversion was a must, I tried a different set of forks but didn’t like the look, then tried a stem converter. It felt okay in terms of the controls, but I found that 1. I didn’t trust it for the riding I was doing and 2. It moved around to much for my liking! That and I was keen to keep the bike original 😆 (last comment was tongue in cheek!)
I totally understand, I did a similar mod on a ‘97 Kona Hahanna as a practice run to see how it felt before I destroyed a rarer bike and I was blown away. You get the classic look and feel but with the most confidence inspiring brakes.
I’ve nearly finished a ‘97 Kona Cinder Cone ( probably never be finished) and it’s going out on its maiden voyage this morning since I’ve attacked it with a grinder and a tig welder.

Funny you should say that about the Kona…
IMG_8609.jpeg
IMG_8610.jpeg

This is how I bought this one, will be adding a brace and I have some later disc only p2’s to go on it. Also will get the powder coat treatment and original decals adding. Thinking original colour (possibly a bit darker green) with lots of polished silver parts 😉

Agree on the retro look with all weather brakes, love the geo of a 90s bike, but like to ride in awful conditions so the brake conversion makes sense.

Funny you should say that about the Kona…
View attachment 795565
View attachment 795566

This is how I bought this one, will be adding a brace and I have some later disc only p2’s to go on it. Also will get the powder coat treatment and original decals adding. Thinking original colour (possibly a bit darker green) with lots of polished silver parts 😉

Agree on the retro look with all weather brakes, love the geo of a 90s bike, but like to ride in awful conditions so the brake conversion makes sense.
I’ll keep an eye out for that one ☝️

I totally understand, I did a similar mod on a ‘97 Kona Hahanna as a practice run to see how it felt before I destroyed a rarer bike and I was blown away. You get the classic look and feel but with the most confidence inspiring brakes.
I’ve nearly finished a ‘97 Kona Cinder Cone ( probably never be finished) and it’s going out on its maiden voyage this morning since I’ve attacked it with a grinder and a tig welder.
How did the maiden voyage go? What brakes did you decide to run on it?

Back