aheadset in '92?

eejoor

Retro Guru
I just bought a uncracked manitou 2 fs (framenumber 9) from ebay.

it has a threaded 1/4 headset/ manitou 2 forks, the front end feels a litle heavy and i want to lighten it up a litle, so:

was there a threadles headset availeble in '92?
the manitou 2 has steel tubes, but will the alu ones from a manitou 3 fit? (and benefit from the longer travel as wel, i know i will have to change the springs as well)

it seems that manitou's will crack easy, but how easy? i don't plan to do downills with it, but want to use it for some "normal" tecnical singletrack use. how likeley is it that it will crack?

grtz,
Danny

yeah 1993 was when they started to take come fitted to bikes, GT's were some of the early adopters and also Trek

'Aheadsets' first appeared in 1992 and became fairly common as OEM on higher end 1993 model year bikes. Dia-Compe (now Cane Creek) patented the 'Aheadset' system and licensed it to Tioga initially. I'm not sure when other manufacturers also began producing similar systems.

Prior to that Pace had created a similar threadless headset system back in about 1988 I think with the RC30 fork.

Some info here: --> http://www.drystonepaul.com/maintenance ... l_1993.jpg

It will crack. I wouldnt ride it. It must be low mileage or had really light usage to be still intact. You lucky bugger!

As above 1992 (though they actually came to market in 1991, not sure which month).
Rocky Mountain used them in the higher models and in 1993 and also in that years catalogue they claimed they used them in 1992 models as well. That would have been after the 1992 catalogue was published though.

Back