A nice little ride today...

Re:

What a ride that was Mike. I didn't know that Chanctry Lane was there. It looks like once you get to the top of it and see the Bridleway sign, turn left then it goes up quite steeply from there according to the OS contour lines. You must be fit for that ride by the look and sound of it.

Re: Re:

Dawn Treader":2i9xh7cl said:
What a ride that was Mike. I didn't know that Chanctry Lane was there. It looks like once you get to the top of it and see the Bridleway sign, turn left then it goes up quite steeply from there according to the OS contour lines. You must be fit for that ride by the look and sound of it.

It's flat once you get to the bridleway . The last bit of the climb steepens though . Not much climbing TBH , just that road climb , drag up to cissbury/chanctonbury track . The hardest one was the last one that came out at the top of clapham woods . If you've got the map in front of you , check out the climb that ends just to the west of trees at Chanctonbury , heading south/east . Couldn't make that at the weekend , too steep/slippery :oops:
Mike

Mike Muz 67":om64eyjz said:
Dawn Treader":om64eyjz said:

It's flat once you get to the bridleway . The last bit of the climb steepens though . Not much climbing TBH , just that road climb , drag up to cissbury/chanctonbury track . The hardest one was the last one that came out at the top of clapham woods . If you've got the map in front of you , check out the climb that ends just to the west of trees at Chanctonbury , heading south/east . Couldn't make that at the weekend , too steep/slippery :oops:
Mike

Even better - Carry on past Chantry Lane until you come to a crossroads (Water Lane on the left). Turn right into Sullington Lane and keep going! It's half on road and half off. Chantry Lane can be bloody dangerous for cyclists as it used a lot by dog walkers, doggers, farmers and the odd dope smoking boy racer and with all the blind corners and crests it can leave you very exposed to danger.... Sullington Lane only leads to a church (where I got married!) before going off road....

Re:

Hi Ross ,

That is a lovely climb mate . Used to cycle home from work that way , when I worked in Water Lane and lived in Hove .
On one group ride , we came onto that Bridleway half way down , after a sketchy bit before from the west , where my front wheel stopped dead in a hole and I managed to step over the bike and walk :LOL: :LOL: It was a winter ride , so was dark . Hence me not seeing it with my dodgy Chinese lights :shock:

Mike

Re:

An interesting ride today , around 1 3/4 hrs

Wanted a proper ride tonight , as I didn't manage one at the weekend .
From work (Shoreham harbour) , I rode along to Shoreham , up downs link to Steyning , to bottom of Steyning Bostal road , where I let some air outa my tyres . It was still sunny then :cool:
Up the road climb half way , turned right at junction to a steepish little bridleway , then onto a flattish rooty bridleway at the top , one of my favourites .
Then onto the SDW when the sky turned black :facepalm: . Knowing a was going to get a soaking whichever way I went now , I just continued on the route I had planned anyway . Staight along SDW across top of Chanctonbury through the short hailstorm , slowly past the sheep that had escaped out of a field , then down the main hill to the car park . Turned left before road , to go along track that runs alongside the A24 on the east side , to the farm/stables .Where I told someone about the loose sheep . It was only raining at this point :LOL:
Carried on along track , to end up on the Cissbury-Chanctonbury main drag . Then to Cissbury , down r/h side of it to take me through a narrow singletrack that took me around the back of some houses to come out opposite Bost Hill on the A24 .
Half way down this slope there is an option . Left takes you alongside a field , right takes you down a narrow singletrack , with two big trees that had fallen , making it impossible to carry on . Guess which one I took :oops: :facepalm: . Anyway they both meet , and take you down to the A24 .
Got home just as the Sun came out to rinse bike off and dry in the sun :roll:
Tried the newly bought Wellgo M3 pedals I got , shite they are too :evil: Can't trust them for bunny hops , and they're fiddly to get normal SPD cleats into . Maybe they have specific cleats :? But don't they look good (on my freshly cleaned bike)

Sorry for wittering on , but I don't have Strava :LOL: Maybe I'll have to do shorter rides :LOL: :LOL:

Mike ;)

Attachments

• after ride shot.jpg
    after ride shot.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 945
Re:

Today I had a bit of an annoying day on the bike, I suppose I was owed one as recently its all been going OK..

So, I got onto the seafront, went to Saltdean then over to telscombe, realising my gears weren't shifting that well. At that point, I noticed my seatpost had also slipped a bit.

Started on my way to Firle Beacon and got to the base of it, where the gears were more annoying and the seatpost had slipped again, so bailed and headed home. At Lewes, I tried to just tighten the seat bolt a little more when sure enough, it snapped. Thus, onto a train and back home, happily avoding the rain.

Day off tomorrow I think (weather not looking good) and then see what the rest of the week brings.

http://www.strava.com/activities/140264421

p.s. Velo Cafe evening road ride on Weds, 6.45 pm, bring lights and a fiver for some pasta afterwards. 20-25 miles if anyone is interested.

Mike Muz 67":2mbk3o0j said:
What a PITA :roll:

were you riding that old Goat again ?

Newer one.

Edit: Should have done the messing before leaving the house but it needs some sorting out before the next run (and a new seat bolt if anyone has a spare - its an in-frame one).

DA-EVO":21n3n0rz said:
Mike Muz 67":21n3n0rz said:
What a PITA :roll:

were you riding that old Goat again ?

Newer one.

Edit: Should have done the messing before leaving the house but it needs some sorting out before the next run (and a new seat bolt if anyone has a spare - its an in-frame one).
Slipping seatpost syndrome is awful , my Fisher has a bit of a problem with that and it drives me mad .
what sort of bolt do you need ?
cheers Paul

Back