a little personal announcement, working in NZ

Re:

I'd love to try that on one of my old steel rigids. 'Til 3.11, then I'd walk the rest :shock: :shock: :oops: :LOL:

mike

Re:

Actually that makes it look harder than it is, I could ride the whole thing old school but I'd just be a bit slower, basically I ride how from the shop over mount Victoria, can choose on or off road, ten the street you can see appearing at the end if the video is Aro street, when I ride up there I can stop at the Garage Project which is a micro brewery, a pretty good one aswel, after picking up the beer for the evening I can then climb up the off road trails to then do the above downhill trail before then climbing back up the road to Karori where I'm currently living.

I'm moving to Island bay in a couple of weeks though so my commute will change , its slightly closer to work which I suppose is good but I do like my current comute !

Re:

You could always pop over Neil, the guy I'm renting a room off has another spare room, only $130 a week!!

I'm starting to really get my head around the area now so finding trails is easier.

My legs are a bit tired though, I usually do 2-3 rides a week on mostly flat trails at home, here I only have my bike for transport so everywhere I go I'm on the bike, nearly a month in and although I'm definitely fitter and I have definitely lost weight my legs are tired and I guess it's mild overtraining, just where its constant almost every day, the morning commute is so much fun but the climb on the way home does make my legs burn, and the fact it's everyday and the temptation of playing on the trails is there all the time on the way home so before I know it I'm doing more than I meant to! Which is good but then I feel it!

Definitely one of the best places I have ever ridden and I haven't even scratched the surface.

The whole place sounds fantastic, from everything you've said it sounds like you having a whale of a time John :xmas-big-grin: .

Re:

Well it's good and bad I suppose, I like the shop although I'm still getting my head around the way they do things. The riding is very good, but its still not home so that's the bad bit, missing family and friends etc, miss having my van but then that means I'm getting fit! Really miss my gsxr600!

Don't miss the winter though!! :D

Thanks for writing some words about going working in NZ :) I've been thinking about doing the same in the future.. looks like you have some good trails there, together with nice weather and high mountains, and that's a really good start :) Was it expensive getting your bike there..?

Happy holidays and keep us updated :)

Re:

Expensive yes sort of.

Chest xray, £104
Police check £90
Visa application fee £145

Flight direct was £1150 but I have decided to have a holiday on the way home so I have paid an extra £200 to stop over in San Francisco and LA on my return, I think you can guess I'll be giving fairfaxpat and repack rider a shout soon!!

Also regarding the bike, I bought an Evoc bike bag, 300rrp although I got it for less as I was in the trade, the extra cost for that was £75 in advance of flying or £100 at check in, this was with air new Zealand.

Also getting from Auckland to Wellington by bus cost $54 which I'll have to pay to return for the flight back, its the cheapest option between the 2 cities and there are plenty of comfort brakes on the way.

Regarding my wage, it's low but basically the same as the UK for shop work, but the fact that I have no bills to speak of except for food and accomodation mean that I can save a lot. My plan is to have at least the air fare in the bank when I leave which if I save $150 a week I should do easily because I think I should be able to hit $200 a week due to my rent all in being only $130 a week, so basically I only have to buy food after that bill.

So it's expensive to get here but I'm able to save a lot here to counteract that expense.

On another note, I was riding home from work tonight and I noticed out if the corner if my eye someone eyeing up my bike as I pulled away from the traffic lights, I then realised it was my friend and guide from the Alps 10 years ago, I guy called Andrew Durno, aka Tallbeast from the 90's NZ band "Head like a Hole" so I stopped and had a chat, so I'll be getting out riding with him soon aswel :)

Back