A Hustler, 2 Handjobs and the elusive G Spot (Cove content)

The size of the big ring on the handjob cassette is hilarious! You'll be riding up walls with that thing!

Really under-rated frames

34/50 I think it is 😂 Yeah it climbs effortlessly. So much I’ve been considering chucking on a larger chainring.

as a little update…

The G Spot is getting some work done now.

Stripped it down in the week to work out what I needed to buy or do to finish it.

Quickly realised the RaceFace Diabolus headset is missing the crown race and the top covers 😢 I’ve just got the cups and bearings in the frame. Missed that when picking it up!

BB is loose and noisy so that’s getting replaced along with possibly the outer ring. (Although I am tempted to just run it 1x9)

Brakes are bad. Front works. Pads are obliterated. Rear doesn’t move at all but the lever is squeaky so I’m guessing a seal in the lever has failed. They’ll be going to Hope to refurbish.

Wheels are also going out to get rebuilt. I’ve got some new Nukeproof Dolos rims to lace up to the Hope hubs.

I might look at replacing the X7 rear mech too. It just seems a bit worn and loose on the bike.

Ermmm and finally, I bought a new SDG leopard print recently so that will be going on to save the original.

All being well… it’ll be done by the end of summer and maybe be hitting BPW

IMG_8699.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8701.jpeg
    IMG_8701.jpeg
    953.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8702.jpeg
    IMG_8702.jpeg
    753.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8698.jpeg
    IMG_8698.jpeg
    552.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8704.jpeg
    IMG_8704.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 1
And that’s the G Spot up and running. Sort of.

Built up today after collecting all the bits and waiting for others to be built/refurbed.

Colin at AM Bike Co built the wheels for me. I’d grabbed some Nukeproof Dolos rims in the CRC madness so we used those, a Pro2 Evo rear hub, Pro 2 front, and a nice set of DT Swiss spokes.

Hope refurbished the brakes for me. Turnaround was ridiculously quick on those!

My local bike shop, 2 Wheels Only, fitted the tyres with a tubeless setup and did me a cracking deal on a Hope BB and the brake discs.

And well I’ve assembled the rest.

It looks amazing but… I should have checked the suspension first. Bollocks. The 5th Element shock was on zero pressure when I checked and after pumping it up to 130 I was back down to say 80 after a 30 minute ride to the bike shop. I bought an adapter to check the pressure in the 66RC but after adding a whole 15psi in each leg… it’s gone as soon as I undo the adapter. Not sure what’s going on there.

Rear shock definitely needs new seals. Fork might just need a service.

I was going to take it to BPW this week but that plan has gone out the window now.

Still. Looks cool. Lads at the bike shop love it. A young lad there buying something said it looks ancient but it could hit anything 😂
IMG_9714.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9720.jpeg
    IMG_9720.jpeg
    585.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9721.jpeg
    IMG_9721.jpeg
    616.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9722.jpeg
    IMG_9722.jpeg
    624 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9723.jpeg
    IMG_9723.jpeg
    663.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9719.jpeg
    IMG_9719.jpeg
    567.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9718.jpeg
    IMG_9718.jpeg
    528.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9717.jpeg
    IMG_9717.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9716.jpeg
    IMG_9716.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9715.jpeg
    IMG_9715.jpeg
    494.3 KB · Views: 1
Looks great! It's the fork and shock seals that get me on every 'easy' resto...

I rode an earlier G-Spot with a 5th Element for years and loved it. I did run into problems with where the linkage attaches to the seat tube. At least on the earlier frames, the bolts threaded directly into aluminum without any steel insert. Both sides eventually stripped and had to be helicoiled - I remember being terrified while drilling out the holes.

I don't know if they addressed that on the 2nd gen frames. I see a cool wrap-around gusset on the head tube that I definitely didn't have on mine.

Bike by Rented Mule, on Flickr

Looks great! It's the fork and shock seals that get me on every 'easy' resto...

I rode an earlier G-Spot with a 5th Element for years and loved it. I did run into problems with where the linkage attaches to the seat tube. At least on the earlier frames, the bolts threaded directly into aluminum without any steel insert. Both sides eventually stripped and had to be helicoiled - I remember being terrified while drilling out the holes.

I don't know if they addressed that on the 2nd gen frames. I see a cool wrap-around gusset on the head tube that I definitely didn't have on mine.

Bike by Rented Mule, on Flickr

I wish I’d had the hindsight to check those first 🤦‍♂️ I didn’t even know the 66RCs needed a special adapter to even try and inflate them!

I’ll have a look at those bolts and how they mount to the frame. I’ve got all the bearings I could do with changing so that’s going to be a good time to check.

Been scrolling through Wayback Machine trying to find some Cove info...

Looks like my G Spot is the 2005 model.

2005 cove gspot fr.JPG

The pink Handjob is also likely the 2005 model

2005 handjob xc.JPG

Because in 2006 they seem to have added the bottle opener on the rear disc mount like my orange Handjob

2006 handjob xc.JPG

And I jsut grabbed the image for the 2005 Hustler too. I thought I'd read they were spec'd with a 150mm fork so I got one for mine but catalogue says 125mm. Hmm

2005 cove hustler.JPG

Back