'96 Kona Kilauea - The Anti-white

Dropouts and non bulged bottom of seattube would suggest possibly a '96?

Anthony would know!

Not a 93...unless the UK version was substantially different from my 2 Canadian ones...

FluffyChicken":3l9nzj42 said:
Are you sure that's a 1993 Kilauea ?
I don't think it is.

What are the first few numerals of the serial number and do you have a picture of the bottom of the seat tube/top of bottom bracket.

One of the above picture shows the top of the BB. First digits are H5C1.

I am happy to be proved wrong on it's age. It's only what I was lead to believe when I bought it.

stevecrx":1fuzym56 said:
FluffyChicken":1fuzym56 said:
Are you sure that's a 1993 Kilauea ?
I don't think it is.

What are the first few numerals of the serial number and do you have a picture of the bottom of the seat tube/top of bottom bracket.

One of the above picture shows the top of the BB. First digits are H5C1.

I am happy to be proved wrong on it's age. It's only what I was lead to believe when I bought it.
That 5 to me means 1995 built so 1995 or 1996 model year (check with Anthony) I don't know what the rest after H5 means.
Not enough time to look at the rest and the pictures are not detailed enough in case it's important to identify
1995 was concept tubing and if recent talks with Anthony that would mean there would be a very visible buldge down there on the seat tube, which I cannot see.
1996 had changed tubing and I think you would need Anthony for that, I assume it was round tubing.

Yup, not a 95 cos the bottom of the seat tube is bulged/ovalised on those... Dropouts look right for that era though...

Does this make things any clearer?

IMG_4347.jpg

I'm intrigued now...

No, still blurry around there to me needs to be closer looking flat on the front/back of the tube. :D, but I think we would see the bulge.
Though given the mech was a top-swing then you wouldn't be able to have used it if it was bulging or ovalised, so 1996.

Assuming it weight ~4lb then the that's as much as I know :)

Anyways, derailed the thread a little.

What the plan. Burnt Orange ?

I think so. I can't think of another colour I'd rather go for right now and I think it needs a bold frame colour as IMHO the frame surface area is too small for fancy graphics to stand out.

All the bits to go on it are are mostly black with a bit of silver so the 'KTM style' should work.

Hey, I might get to the powder coaters and change my mind completely though. :)

Back