I'm not a fan of tuning, so nearly ditched these pulleys that were fitted to the Deore XT RD-M735-SS rear derailleur on the bike when I bought it from Japan. Well, it turns out that these are original Bullseye pulleys [1], some rather sought-after items, so I decided to put them back in lieu of the XTR ones.

P1020147.JPG
P1020150.JPG
P1020157.JPG

Last edited:
I've found very little information about the Panaracer Shield rims on my Sanny.

P1010182.JPG

Except an Anti Snake Bite News booklet (written in German) on the Polish website RetroMTB [1]. To summarize, these rims were available in two flavors: the Shield DH for downhill use and the Shield XC for XC racing. Both featured the Anti Snake Bite (ASB) Protector, an elastomer rim tape that extends to the rim sidewalls, going between the tyre and the rim, to avoid pinch puncture. There's unfortunately no printed date on the ASB News booklet, but the Shield DH rims being disc-only, I feared they weren't period-correct, as downhill was far from mainstream in 1992, so I couldn't envision a manufacturer embracing such a niche market with a dedicated product.

Additionally, some of the tyres listed in the booklet, as well as the Magic DH tyres advertised on the rims, entered the market in the mid-90's: the Spike around 1994 and the Duster Pro, Smoke/Dart Magic and Magic DH/XC around 1996.

P1010186.JPG

Last edited:
After months of vain searches for a pair of 32-hole Mavic M 231 rims (as on the Team and Team Elite bikes) in decent condition, I started to look at some other period-correct rims. This is how I got this pair of NOS Ritchey Vantage Comp rims.

P1020545.JPG
P1020544.JPG

To complete the wheel rebuild, some DT Swiss Pulstar (same as straightpull Competition, in fact), double-butted 14/15g spokes were ordered.

P1020546.JPG

But no matter how I tried, it was impossible to set the valve hole at the "right" location, due to the machining of the Pulstar hubs and the drilling of the Vantage Comp rims [1]. Grrrr!

P1020970.JPG

Last edited:
After some time, I secured a pair of 32-hole Mavic M 231 rims. As the San Andreas is sporting disc brakes, it didn't make sense to me to put rims with marks of brake pads on the sidewalls. Following this video tutorial, I resurfaced and refinished them by hand.

A tedious and lengthy process :p.

P1030227.JPG
P1030230.JPG
P1030228.JPG

But I'm rather proud of the result :cool:.

P1030231.JPG

Last edited:
As the Team and Team Elite bikes were fitted with a Syncros Cattleprod 135mm stem, I was fearing that my Answer Atac in 150mm could be too long. Fortunately, another Atac stem in 135mm length (furthermore with 17.5° rise) was found.

P1020158.JPG
P1020159.JPG

A couple repro decals by @gil_m later, it was ready for the bike rebuild.

P1020164.JPG
P1020165.JPG

Last edited:
Since I failed to identify the seatpost clamp on the Team and Team Elite bikes, I looked for months for a Ringlé Ti-bolt collar 1 3/8" in red anodized color that would have nicely matched the Camtwist QR rear skewer, to no avail. Or in cracked condition. Or in wrong color.

Dubbed S-Series by Mountain Cycle on the '93 framesets and above, I was by contrast able to locate what turned out being a MCS Lite seatpost binder, a popular item in the BMX scene of the late 80's, early 90's, in the correct size and color.

P1020189.JPG
P1020190.JPG

Last edited:
In the end, the Odyssey SveLte Hi-Performance saddle was my Eleonore. Pure unobtainium in this part of the world. I'm not even talking about the titanium rails version... I was resigned to fit something more common, looking for classics such as Selle Italia Flite or Specialized Prolong, like in the aforementioned '91 Mountain Cycle ad, or other San Marco Titanio 200 (though the rarer "Bontrager" shape), like on @Baulz bike.

I don't remember the details and where/how I got it from, but I finally grabbed an even higher-end version of the Odyssey SvelTe saddle, the top-of-the-line SvelTe-Ti Kevlar, with titanium rails and Kevlar coating, in nearly immaculate condition.

P1020607.JPG
P1020608.JPG
P1020609.JPG
P1020610.JPG
P1020611.JPG
P1020612.JPG
P1020613.JPG
P1020616.JPG

All the bits were finally gathered to complete the rebuild of my San Andreas :D.

Last edited:
Well, this was without taking into account a last minute hitch, as I had to find some handlebar grips to replace the dying onZa Porcipaws. The WTB Trail Grips were well acclaimed in the early 90's, and as for the Attack grips, ODI is still manufacturing reissues of the original Trail Grips for WTB.

P1020617.JPG
P1020618.JPG
P1020619.JPG
P1020620.JPG
P1020621.JPG

Being reissues and further made from some of the denser rubber compound that Bikepro had ever seen BITD [1], they shouldn't self-destruct anytime soon!

Latest posts

Back