40’s Schwinn DX klunker Build?

I agree about the dropouts. If your coaster is creeping, something else is wrong.

I had the original forward facing dropouts on my, much more recent, Schwinn for ages and did plenty of hard, off road riding on it without issue. I did braze a pretty solid mount to the chainstay for the torque arm, infact I did an extended arm and mounted it way up the chainstay.

Maybe anchoring the torque arm solidly is the key, I’ve done coasters in plenty other forward facing dropout frames with no problems but I tend to always do a brazed on mount.

Insta post with some images of mine,
Since these photos I’ve changed the dropouts to a set of Paul’s and cut the original seattube out and replaced it with one that takes a 27.2mm post.

My coasters get so hot clunking you could cook on them. They sometimes smoke. They usually creep and become crooked when I’m locked up and skidding down a long hill. I wonder if heat causes this? It usually occur when I’m 15 K from the nearest gravel road. Hard riding if you don’t have an axle wrench.

What size rubber you got on that one? I'm considering Kenda small block or something similar. Want something easy rolling as most riding will be asphalt or light gravel. I think my black rims with a black tire will make them look beefy.

I should ask about the seat post and clamp. the diameter is 20mm and am assuming going to be hard to find.
I’ve used the Wald replacement with the large top so a mondern seat can be used. The problem is they are thin walled and bend. I use, I think it’s 3/8 inch gas pipe, to hammer inside. I remove threading, sand the pipe smooth, slather the pipe with JB Weld to act as a lubricant. I put it on a wood block and spend about 10 minutes forcing it inside the seat post. I can’t remember but I think the pipe was 12 or 18 inches long. It will not bend if you do this. 9B76CA5A-ADC0-4533-8644-9AAF05F9FA19.jpeg 35818C75-74B7-4582-AEAA-D484092A0333.jpeg
I should ask about the seat post and clamp. the diameter is 20mm and am assuming going to be hard to find.
Clamps are available on eBay.

Last edited:
My coasters get so hot clunking you could cook on them. They sometimes smoke. They usually creep and become crooked when I’m locked up and skidding down a long hill. I wonder if heat causes this? It usually occur when I’m 15 K from the nearest gravel road. Hard riding if you don’t have an axle wrench.
The heat could expand the axle, loosening everything off?

I always carry a regular 15mm wrench and the cone spanners for my hub, think they are 15mm and 17mm? I keep on forgetting I have them with me and think my hub is rattling but it’s just them!

Back