40’s Schwinn DX klunker Build?

Sachs is good stuff. They later changed their name to SRAM. I have an old Fitchel and Sachs 3 speed hub in my vintage tandem, that application has been rock solid for years, but the mileage is low and slow on that bike

Sorry I don’t really know what that means but I assume it good just different. Is it possible to put a 5 or 6 speed freewheel on this rear drum? Still thinking I’d like gear option. What’s the general consensus regarding that, single speed or geared?

Sorry I don’t really know what that means but I assume it good just different. Is it possible to put a 5 or 6 speed freewheel on this rear drum? Still thinking I’d like gear option. What’s the general consensus regarding that, single speed or geared?
Oh, I wasn't aware that you could build a 26 inch wheel with a hub that big 3 cross. I really can’t tell by the picture for sure but it looks like it could be 3 cross. I’m cautious so on 26 inch rims, with a big hub, I calculate spoke length for 2 cross. Looks like it might be possible for 3?

2 cross and 3 cross are different lacing patterns. If the spokes cross each other twice, 2 cross. Thrice is 3 cross. There is also radial lacing, in which none of the spokes cross, but that's weird

images (4).jpeg

Back