40’s Schwinn DX klunker Build?

Can´t help with the above hubs, but they look a bit like cheap 80ies items?

Not sure how far you want to take this build though. As @Nabeaquam said, at least for the front hubs vintage Sturmey Archer drum brakes are a decent copy of the unobtanium Union hubs. They were widely used on dutch bikes.

Example
View attachment 745992View attachment 745993
I have a klunker I built years ago with a drum brake from a Swedish bicycle. If I remember right I think it was a Gigant brand brake.

Last edited:
So wants for the build: drum brake front, TA crankset(little unsure of what I need for BB), Suntour mighty thumb shifter(incoming), Brooks B72(have on my wife's bike, she will not be happy), 26x2.4(not sure how big I can go)all black tires, Schwinn or Ashtabula like stem and wide set riser bars (no idea of model or brand) Brake levers(would love the Honda CB style levers def something old school) Suntour derailleurs, some sort of bear trap pedal like Suntour Schwinn grips(have) and lastly not sure what I’ll need for brakes.

My wife's Pashley has this drum on the front. The wheels are 700c but presumably you could build them to the correct rim? Not sure of spacing though.

asdfasdfwed.jpeg

So wants for the build: drum brake front, TA crankset(little unsure of what I need for BB), Suntour mighty thumb shifter(incoming), Brooks B72(have on my wife's bike, she will not be happy), 26x2.4(not sure how big I can go)all black tires, Schwinn or Ashtabula like stem and wide set riser bars (no idea of model or brand) Brake levers(would love the Honda CB style levers def something old school) Suntour derailleurs, some sort of bear trap pedal like Suntour Schwinn grips(have) and lastly not sure what I’ll need for brakes.
I once put a set of 3 inch tires on a Schwinn cruiser with a bmx fork. I sold it. It looked strange and the buyer didn’t like the tires so I put 2 inch ones on it for him. I would get one 2.4 and mount it front and rear to see if it fits and if you like it. You might have to deflate the rear to allow it to move forward enough to clear the drops. An oversized tire can hit the chain stay cross brace, or in that area when you try to remove it. You can dimple the chain stays to get more clearance. If you’re going with a derailleur you will have to spread the drops. A three speed coaster hub makes converting your frame easier, but then you have to deal with axle creep. A51ED90E-F05A-40C5-ADD8-E7F692DE588D.jpeg
This won’t dimple chromemoly tubing, it’s too hard. Mild steel like the Schwinn is all ms and it will dimple. 2E97D75F-99E0-4233-B43B-F89C0677B19D.jpeg

Last edited:
Back