40’s Schwinn DX klunker Build?

If you didn’t use 1500 wet paper or rubbing compound to sand the paint under the decals absolutely flat, water slide decals will lift. Any orange peel or slight splatter in the paint and they will lift. I once forgot to sand and had to wet sand and repaint and do more sanding before the decals would stick. I prefer vinyl stickers that I’ve covered with a thin laver of quick set clear epoxy. These never lift, peel or crack. Downside is once you place them it’s best not to move them. I usually place them, lift half, put on epoxy, let it dry and repeat on the other side.
Likely what's happened here. Really appreciate the feedback I will be prepared for the replacements. Cheers!

View attachment 810719View attachment 810720View attachment 810721
Ok so finally got a bit of time on the Schwinn. Cold set the rear to take the Atom drum brake. Guys, need your input, this bike needs chrome bmx fork and chrome moto bars doesn’t it? Let me know your thoughts please. Tires really yellowed any way to whiten them up?
I like the fork. With yellowed decals on models I tape the to a window and let the UV deal with it. I'm not suggesting taping tyres to the window, maybe just lean them. I think some more period swept back bars would suit. It's your ride, built what moves you.

I'm with GIGFY. I like those forks, I wouldn't feel the need to change them for chrome BMX forks.

Bars are very subjective, but again more period swept back bars would work really well, but they need to be comfy for YOU so you can enjoy the ride.

No idea regarding tyres. Guess you might be able to get some whitening paint/dye, but no doubt it will be horrible to apply and get neat so might not be worth the stress.

Not that you asked, but I'm not a fan of the saddle. It looks SO comfy, but visually slimmer saddle (like a sprung brooks - see previous page) would look better. Again, not my ride and comfort gets increasingly important with age!!! 😂

I'm with GIGFY. I like those forks, I wouldn't feel the need to change them for chrome BMX forks.

Bars are very subjective, but again more period swept back bars would work really well, but they need to be comfy for YOU so you can enjoy the ride.

No idea regarding tyres. Guess you might be able to get some whitening paint/dye, but no doubt it will be horrible to apply and get neat so might not be worth the stress.

Not that you asked, but I'm not a fan of the saddle. It looks SO comfy, but visually slimmer saddle (like a sprung brooks - see previous page) would look better. Again, not my ride and comfort gets increasingly important with age!!! 😂
+1 on the saddle Brooks with springs?

Agreed on the saddle, it's fine for mom, but this needs more "hotrod" than comfort. I don't hate the fork, but don't like it with the Kneesaver style bars. If you keep the BMX bar, or switch to the moto bar, a straight fork is essential. It's a tough balance with the old frames. If you are going for aggressive riding, forget about looks, put big bars, and whichever fork suits your handling needs

I don't usually run fenders or guards, but the shape and graphics on that one are so good, I love it. I feel like it helps with the fork decision too, if you aren't planning hardcore riding, graphics really brings the bike together. Old Schwinns look so good

Back