40’s Schwinn DX klunker Build?

IMG_3541.jpeg IMG_3538.jpeg IMG_3537.jpeg
While waiting for parts to arrive or come available I decided to work on this donor. Went halfers on this 1978 Trail Mate, buddy got bars stem tire and wheels, I got frame crankset seat pedals. Not sure what I’ll do with it but might as well fix it up a bit

IMG_3554.jpeg IMG_3553.jpeg IMG_3552.jpeg
New seat clamp came in. I ditched the 13/16 solid steel post that was on the bike and shimmed for a 12” chunk of 1/2 inch galv plumbing pipe that just happens to have a 7/8 outer diameter and worked perfectly as a 5$ seat post. Chain could use a couple more links. Don’t like the bars but the fork will only take 21.1 quill and these are all I have that’ll fit.
71052052002__E013D81E-C593-4068-8946-15834C85D46E.jpeg
Going to add a filler plate trying to decide between mild steel lazer cut painted black or wood panel with pattern burnt or painted with stencil 🤔 let me know your thoughts.

Going to add a filler plate trying to decide between mild steel lazer cut painted black or wood panel with pattern burnt or painted with stencil
I love CAD (Cardboard Aided Design), it's how I made the panel's for Duck Norris. Wood adds a classy vintage feel, while steel is rat/hotrod. I'd say with the age and style of your build currently, that steel would fit nicely

IMG_3573.jpeg IMG_3567.jpeg IMG_3564.jpeg IMG_3571.jpeg
New donor has arrived. I bought it off an add and it was 6 hours away but one of my kids happen to be there and picked it up for me. A Hercules bike with drum brakes is all I knew. Turns out wheels are 700C do I peel these out a lace yhem into some Araya 7x I have my eye on?

My thoughts on the current wheels set is that they look more cruiser than Klunker. I envision them on a bike with less patina we’ll say. I’m not sure but think the term is Strandie?

Back