40’s Schwinn DX klunker Build?

Curious, can handle bars be bent? I’d love if these flared out.
Yes! can be a bit tricky, but again I'm sure you have the skills.

1. Need to be able to clamp properly in an engineers vice without deforming the tubing. You can make make something like a tubing block frame builders use made from hardwood such as beech/oak to secure the bar.

2. Then you need a thick gauge tube over the end of the bar as your lever. This tube needs to be a good fit so you don't crush/deform the end of the bar with the inner wall of the lever pressing against the bar, unless you can plug it with something solid.

Need to watch out where you clamp and replicating it on the opposite side so you don't end up with wonky bars can be tricky! I used to be into Raleigh Choppers (well still am to be honest!) so have played around with tweaking bars before. You shouldn't need heat either, but again depends on what leverage force you can apply and how thick gauge the bars are.

Need some replacement headset bearing for the Schwinn, I threw out what was left of the originals and now not sure what to ask for at LBS, guidance please?

Modern loose ball headsets would generally be 5/32" or 1/8".

They don't cost much to buy. Only way of knowing is to try...

I found some information about VSF caged headset bearing that contain 15 of 3/16 balls. So I was thinking of 3/16 loose balls to use??

I found some information about VSF caged headset bearing that contain 15 of 3/16 balls. So I was thinking of 3/16 loose balls to use??
Loose balls all the way! ;) caged bearings are more convenient to fit, but more balls to help spread the load and eliminate any issues of the cage interfering with the bearing surfaces in case the profile of the cups does something odd.

Back