40’s Schwinn DX klunker Build?

Yep now it fits!
(Personally I´d go with an older cockpit though, I think modern bars/stem would need a BMX style fork)

Hey all, looking at securing a set of 82 Suntour Superbe Tech components what the consensus on quality for the build?
That’s Suntour’s top of the range group.

I love this site! Not loads of info on Superbe Tech though:

That’s Suntour’s top of the range group.

I love this site! Not loads of info on Superbe Tech though:
Ya Suntour seems to be great stuff. This is on a Nishiki Buchwacker from 1982. Full Superbe Tech Components with Araya 7x wheels and Sugino crankset and 4 finger DiaCompe brake levers.

Last edited:
IMG_3483.jpeg IMG_3481.jpeg IMG_3486.jpeg
Decided to clean up the donor and take it for a hood ride. Surprisingly fun love the Dunlop tires and chrome rims. Brakes basically non existent Im guessing the hubs never been serviced and not sure if I’m capable. anyone shed some light on the level of complexity ?

hubs never been serviced and not sure if I’m capable. anyone shed some light on the level of complexity ?
I'm sure you will be MORE than capable! It's a pretty simple job. You will need some thin "cone" spanners to enable you to hold the cone nut still whilst you nip the locking nut up against it. There will be loads of YouTube vids on the subject.

This is Park Tools overview of various hub types.
Not the clearest IMHO. Probably best jump on YouTube! Keep an eye on the bearings as with old hubs that have never been serviced I'd expect very little grease in them and the little buggers drop out and go everywhere across the workbench/garage floor... Best to replace the bearings anyway.

For rear hub, you may need a "freewheel" tool to remove the freewheel to gain access, but then again you might not. I'm guessing the ones you'll have on your bike will be notched and you can make a tool using an old socket and cutting into it with an angle grinder... or some steel plate and a bit of MIG welding. 👍:cool:

Back