40’s Schwinn DX klunker Build?

View attachment 750393
Am considering purchasing this bike for the stem, handle bars and truss rods, guy wants $100 bucks figured it's a cheaper way of getting the parts. Thoughts? Now entering the worm hole lol
That looks like a CCM Moto, be careful, might not be 26" tires. They were available in 28 as well. @Ingola did a bare metal ratrod Moto, the bike is awesome 208853-IMG-20220828-135723145-HDR-2.jpg
He can probably give you the entire history of CCM while explaining specs. He was collecting CCM before I got him onto the trails

So I need to take a poll: do I go suntour mighty thumbshifters, sugino maybe stronglight three speed crank and a 5/6 speed freewheel or do I do I put a single speed crank set with the 16tooth cog that’s on it now? I just finished a decent ride on my diamondback running a 42 tooth front chainring and 20 in the rear. Seemed like a sweet spit for me, as fast as I can go on the flats and seemed like I could ride easy on it as well.
3 chainrings, 6 speed, friction shift. Most versatile and classic. Stronlight and TA vintage cranks may be hard to find the right chairing sizes, but they are classic. It could be easier with the single speed as you might have to dish the wheel for the five speed. If it needs dishing a 5 speed might be able to be dished for that using your existing spokes. If it needs dishing for a 6 speed it might need shorter spokes on the drive side. There are not many 5 speed choices now a days. I would guess your final choice might be determined on what you have and what you can find. Lots of work for you still.

Here is a vintage bicycle that I put a triple on and a 6 speed megga range cassette. Square taper bb. C0C5F82F-3CA2-45A5-8612-0B44599141CB.jpeg
I spread the stays. Here is a better photo of the tool I made to check for parallel and correction. FDF32515-70C0-4D8F-B805-A7767F746090.jpeg

Last edited:
Back