40’s Schwinn DX klunker Build?

IMG_3433.PNG
Am considering purchasing this bike for the stem, handle bars and truss rods, guy wants $100 bucks figured it's a cheaper way of getting the parts. Thoughts? Now entering the worm hole lol

I’d get it! Seems to make financial sense and time sense as otherwise you’ll be spending time tracking down individual items. However we are a biased bunch when it comes to buying MORE stuff!!! 🤣

So I need to take a poll: do I go suntour mighty thumbshifters, sugino maybe stronglight three speed crank and a 5/6 speed freewheel or do I do I put a single speed crank set with the 16tooth cog that’s on it now? I just finished a decent ride on my diamondback running a 42 tooth front chainring and 20 in the rear. Seemed like a sweet spit for me, as fast as I can go on the flats and seemed like I could ride easy on it as well.

So I need to take a poll: do I go suntour mighty thumbshifters, sugino maybe stronglight three speed crank and a 5/6 speed freewheel or do I do I put a single speed crank set with the 16tooth cog that’s on it now? I just finished a decent ride on my diamondback running a 42 tooth front chainring and 20 in the rear. Seemed like a sweet spit for me, as fast as I can go on the flats and seemed like I could ride easy on it as well.
It’s entirely your choice. We’re only here to make you buy more things than you need and slow build process down with different opinions! 😜

Singlespeed sounds like a quicker option if you want to get it done sooner and your terrain/where/how you ride it might dictate that you might want to go geared. Either is good for us and a swap over means a longer build thread. 😊

This is shaping up lovely! 😎

Back