35th Anniversary of the sport

it wouldn't be a birthday party without a fight would it ?

i shall ride my oldest bike up to the radio mast then back down
my own personal re-pack

i shall maybee make a retro offering to the gods of marin whilst up there too

supremate":3784sgkm said:
FairfaxPat":3784sgkm said:
If you haven't seen it yet, I made a video of the Repack run a few years ago with JB riding a Breezer Twister full sus from the '90s. Go to Youtube-Repack Pat Reddix.
Pat, thanks for that! This is one of the coolest videos I know for sure - love the spirit and fun! No surprise you guys built purpose bikes for that...

FairfaxPat":3784sgkm said:
The only rule for riding Repack is--There are no rules...
Something to keep up and celebrate :cool:

Seconded on video :) Thanks for that.

(Desperately chasing 10 postings so I can vote in BOTM :) )

ozpete":3peyo3zq said:
skinnyboy":3peyo3zq said:
I reckon the BBQ and ride sounds great mate

I'll cook the barbie, whilst you blokes get a proper ride in.

Sounds like a plan Pete, Lysty has BBQ's and plenty of places to do a Repack Run homage!

I have been accused in some circles of exaggerating the "birth of the sport" issue. After all, I am asked, didn't people race similar bikes on dirt roads before you guys did?

Human nature being what it is, I would say yes they did, but there is no record of their activities or of any race results. No one who took part in any such activities affected the bicycle industry.

OTOH, from that day in 1976 forward, there are race results on record, and every race that took place from that day on included riders who had been in the previous race, linking all these events together in an unbroken chain until the "official" organisation (NORBA) was formed some seven years later. The bikes in use became the template for every major manufacturer over the next half-decade.

While there may have been downhill races before ours, once again there is no record of the results or the participants. By creating the downhill time trial on a steep hill and a bad road, I believe we came up with a definitive new use for a bicycle that had not been seen before, and that use drove our passion for the mechanical end of the sport.

You are always going to get that with any popular sport.

There are great arguments about the origins of football, but generally speaking recorded competition is taken as the real starting point. This is so with most sports. The equipment used or concept might pre-date organised competition, but just look at most 'inventions'. Usually they are the formalization of a technology by the adoption of a standard.

Once you guys decided to set a course and repeat the event you were indeed giving birth.

My two pence.

Arran":34jvhqi6 said:
andrewl":34jvhqi6 said:
...I’d love to attend the event, but I may just have to organise a similar event a little closer to home. :cool:

The 21st is a Friday & only 2 weeks after the Canberra Scott 24hr (4 day weekend, woot!) so I can't see myself getting over to Tassie, unfortunately.

Saturday the 22nd our time will still be Friday 21st for those well behind the times in the US ;)

Was really thinking something informal on my local trails as organising anything bigger falls into the too hard basket at the moment.

Repack Rider":k8q98cvv said:
Human nature being what it is, I would say yes they did, but there is no record of their activities or of any race results. No one who took part in any such activities affected the bicycle industry.

I think the overall impact on the sport is the major point as even if there are records of timed downhill events on rough roads (and I'm led to believe such records exist), unlike the events of 35 years ago they had zero impact on cycling or the bicycle industry whereas current mountain biking can easily trace its roots and the impact is rather obvious.

Anyway roll on the 21st/22nd of October :cool:

Repack Rider":2t5ribuz said:
I have been accused in some circles of exaggerating the "birth of the sport" issue. After all, I am asked, didn't people race similar bikes on dirt roads before you guys did?

I'm sorry CK, Rodney Rom invented mountain biking. :p

What circles are accusing you of exaggeration? You would never.

2 days beforem my B Day as well. Hope you guys all have a good one, I wil be thinking of you and my ride earlier this year.

Latest posts

Back