35th Anniversary of the sport

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
October 21 of this year marks the 35th anniversary of the day I and a half-dozen friends gathered at the top of a steep hill to settle once and for all time who was the fastest dirt downhiller in the world.

As it turned out, the question was never settled, because now it is asked many times each week in locations all over the world.

On these anniversary days there is always a small gathering at the site, and I expect there will be one this year.

While Marin County gets considerable credit for introducing mountain biking to the world, it is far from correct to suggest that the mountain bike was invented here. People rode bikes on dirt as soon as there were bikes, and no doubt a few of them raced downhill, but left no record of their competition. Many others had already come up with the idea of putting derailleur gears onto balloon-tyre bicycles long before anyone in Marin County did.

What was "invented" in Marin was the SPORT of mountain biking, and the sport itself developed the bikes we have today. That sport started on that day, and the everything we now call mountain biking can be traced in an unbroken line directly to that event.

And to celebrate this day the North East and Yorkshire Area Group will be putting on a 35th Anniversary Thanksgiving Klunk on saturday the 22nd starting at Carlton Bank, Stokesley at 10:30am.
There will be a circular ride in the morning followed by a NONE COMPETETIVE run down the downhill track.

Everyone welcome but please note this is strictly pre 97 bikes only.

Come along and join us and give thanks to CK, Gary, Joe, Alan and all the other Repack founding fathers. More details in the NE&Yorks area soon.

Cheers
Si

Here's a photo from the 2009 Repack anniversary. CK, Brian Harrell, Chris Lang, myself, and Joe Breeze!

Attachments

• DSCN4417-1.jpg
    DSCN4417-1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 4,578
i thought chris lang was taller

21 st october , the day after my birthday ,double celibration

Cool, look forward to seeing pics from the 35th anniversary ride :D

Back