1993 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt

RockiMtn":3cx9mlrc said:
alright stuck again… *sigh*, can't get the stanchions out from the lowers. the seal/wipers (22) are very tightly lodged in the lowers. and yes, i've removed the dust seal (20) and the lock ring (3:cool:.

also having a hard time keeping the stanchion gripped in the vise. should i perhaps clamp it back into the crown and clamp the steerer crown in the vise? reading the (translated) tutorial online, it says to pop them out using air pressure, similar to how i got the air caps out. :?

any tips/advise appreciated.

This is the way I do it normaly: NeverNeverEver use a machine vise or something which is pressing the stanchion tube oder fork leg! You will always damage something!

Take sure most of the oil has been ran out (drill the damper unit during hang over the fork!), screw the crown back on the stanchion tube (only one per time), put a towl or some other stuff on the ground to protect against oil AND fallen down fork leg (!), stand up - place the fork between your legs, put something smooth throught the bottom for leg hole (something which can't damage the fork leg) to stand with both feet on, step on with your feet, put a towl around the top of the fork leg, take the crown with a towl or a glove or something to protect your hands ... (keep attention to your back ;-) ), take a deep breath, and pull it out with a strong pull.
You will get a big PLOPP! and some oil will fly around, so don't forget the towl around!

Hope I could make myself understandable ;-)

My method would be to use the MAG method.
Fill with oil (hence keeping the old stuff) leaving an air chamber. 30mm from to no idea what the range you can use is...
Fit top caps and clips and pump until you blow them apart.

Oil rags around things as needed of course.

Might want to first try pushing on the stanchion when full with oik to see if that pushes the seals out first.

and… SUCCESS!!! :D finally got around to pulling these apart. wish me luck on the other half! ;)

is there any particular way i should clean these? should i be using just clean oil to rinse things out, or should i use something like say isopropyl alcohol???

Attachments

• DSC06311.JPG
    DSC06311.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 247
Ta-dum! got everything apart! :D

now i know where the particles in the oil from the one fork leg side came from. there's a tear in one of the seals, and it wasn't stuff off the springs as i had prev suspected! *phew*.

Attachments

• DSC06314.JPG
    DSC06314.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC06312.JPG
    DSC06312.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 232
Regarding DSC06314.JPG: It's nearly impossible to crack this seal (I have never seen one broken in more than 15 years).

Someone who ownes the fork before you destroyed it ... is something like a cut in it?

nope, looks like it has just split/cracked, and badly at that, as i can peel down the outer portion of the seal. no damage to the top and i checked and the spring diameter has it sitting on top with no chance of contact to the seal.

Dr_M, i checked the rebuild kit you sent and it doesn't include these seals. any chance i can get a set from you???

thought having pulled everything apart, i could get this back together in no time. no chance of that now without replacing this seal. :p :(

how best should i go about flushing out all these small pieces of rubber particles?

Attachments

• DSC06317.JPG
    DSC06317.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC06316.JPG
    DSC06316.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC06320.JPG
    DSC06320.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC06315.JPG
    DSC06315.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 217
Just by exchanging mails I remember to have one of this seals left, I kept it for measurements.
Unfortunately only one, but this may do the trick. You can have it.

Another possibility would be to search in my used-seals box (I usualy exchange all seals during service and throw the used one in a box).

Back