1992 Marin team issue - restored and ridden

But can’t you just use oven cleaner?
Depends. The active ingredient MUST be sodium hydroxide (or hydroflouric acid). Sodium hydroxide is Lye, which I posted prior. Weight for weight, buying straight lye in pellets will be much cheaper and you can store it forever in a dry place. Oven cleaner is expensive for the % lye you are buying, IIRC maybe 10% concentration or so.

If you decide on straight lye, you can dilute your solution with another 20-50 mL of water if you want a slower color removal. Make sure you mix everything in plastic containers and soak your part(s) in plastic containers. Lye will eat glass (and ferric metals).

Anyone know a good black seatpost available in 1992? Was use doing then yet?
XTR m900: Black tubing with silver clamp
XT m730: Black tubing with black clamp

Depends. The active ingredient MUST be sodium hydroxide (or hydroflouric acid). Sodium hydroxide is Lye, which I posted prior. Weight for weight, buying straight lye in pellets will be much cheaper and you can store it forever in a dry place. Oven cleaner is expensive for the % lye you are buying, IIRC maybe 10% concentration or so.

If you decide on straight lye, you can dilute your solution with another 20-50 mL of water if you want a slower color removal. Make sure you mix everything in plastic containers and soak your part(s) in plastic containers. Lye will eat glass (and ferric metals).

XTR m900: Black tubing with silver clamp
XT m730: Black tubing with black clamp
Ok I’ll have a looksie

Yes xtr m900 is an option but I would be looking for something with a more powdercoated look than anodized.

Alright I’m going to paint my spare use seatpost and ritchey stem black over the weekend then so I have black frame parts.. I’m keeping the turbo..

I decided just to paint the stem black as a sort of nod to the black Marin lite quill stem that was previously mounted on this bike. May even get some Marin lite decals for the ritchey stem hehe.. I kept the Marin lite bars and seatpost.

This thing still surprises me on how bloody light it is. Just picked it up this morning and nearly flew out my hands!😂

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back