Sold 1991 MBK Tracker Hi Tech - 17"

MSYT

Retro Guru
Up for sale I have another bike from my collection. A 1991 MBK Tracker Hi Tech. This has been my commuter for the last year or so and is mostly to the original spec. Back in 1991, I believe this was MBK's top offering. Being a French company I'm not too sure how many were sold over here but I don't recall seeing another one of these in recent times. Rare? Maybe.

IMG_8111.jpeg

She's a solid bike but she has had a hard life. There are lots of stone chips all over as well as scuffs and a bit of fading to the beautiful two tone paint job but the frame and fork are largely rust free.

I was running the bike with mudguards and a front rack and it was such a comfy ride with those bars. Since I've decided to sell - I've switched out the shifters to some DX STis, replaced the saddle with an original-ish Avocet, fitted a LX wheelset and new tyres and replaced all the cables and brake pads. If the bars and stem aren't for you - I do have the original 3T stem to fit and I'm sure I could find a set of flat bars

She's not perfect by any means but I've loved every mile in the saddle and the paint job is striking - even with all the stone chips.

£300 + postage?
Specs as follows:
Sizes : 17" C-T
Frame : 1991 MBK Tracker Hi Tech – Columbus Tubing (I believe)
Fork : 1 1/8” Threaded
Headset : Shimano Deore DX
Bottom Bracket : Shimano Deore XT BB-UN72
Crankset : Shimano Deore XT FC-M730 170mm
Chainring : Shimano 46/36/24
Pedals : Not supplied
Front Derailleur : Shimano Deore XT FD-M735
Rear Derailleur : Shimano Deore XT RD-M735
Shifters : Shimano Deore DX ST-M071
Cassette : Shimano CS-HG41 12-28T
Chain : SRAM PC-870 Chain
Brake Levers : Shimano Deore DX ST-M071
Brake Calipers : Shimano Deore XT BR-M734
Brake Pads : Clarks CP520
Handlebar : MX Style Handlebar
Stem : Azonic World Force 60mm
Grips : Lizard Skin Moab
Rear Hub : Shimano Deore LX FH-M560
Front Hub : Shimano Deore LX HB-M560
Spokes : Straight Gauge
Rims : 26” Colombo CS
Tyres : Ritchey Speedmax Beta 26x2.0"
Skewers : Purple Anodised
Saddle : Avocet
Seatpost : 27.2mm Kalin
Seat Clamp : Purple Anodised
Additional : 22.2mm to 25.4mm Quill Adapter
Additional : Elite Purple Anodised Bottle Cage

The bike can be collected from Tamworth, Staffordshire or postage via Paisley Freight, fully insured.
Any questions, please ask!

Attachments

• IMG_8112.jpeg
    IMG_8112.jpeg
    527.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8113.jpeg
    IMG_8113.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8114.jpeg
    IMG_8114.jpeg
    540.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8115.jpeg
    IMG_8115.jpeg
    614.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8116.jpeg
    IMG_8116.jpeg
    615 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8117.jpeg
    IMG_8117.jpeg
    530.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8118.jpeg
    IMG_8118.jpeg
    552.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8119.jpeg
    IMG_8119.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8120.jpeg
    IMG_8120.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 34
Nice bike,
let me add a pictures and documenations from a buyers guide 1991
MBK Tracker Hi-tech aus Bicisport Guia 1991.jpg
mbk tracker factsheet VTT mag.jpg

and an advertisment from MBK
mbk ad machine.jpg

It was the top-of-line model, with Columbus tube set, equipped with XT and with a great paint job, still 13Kg and MBK is typically not the brand most Retrobike fans do have on their shopping lists.

There was a Tracker rolling frameset just like LGF's on eBay for several years and I regret not getting it. that was Columbus tubed F&F with Deore wheels, chainset, seatpost, stem and bars. I think it was up for sale for about £75. That was also with a chainstay U brake and carry strap, both uber cool features IMHO!

That would destroy your seatstay in a crash - but your derailleur would be fine ha ha
actually I was back in time approx 1997, when one of my bike buddies brought a friend along for a ride which his brand new Super V (I still remember the purple frame as it would have been yesterday), at the first downhill in a wooden defile he was getting a branch of a tree in his rear derailleur, dragged it along for a few meters till it has been caught by the spokes and led to an immediate blockage of his back wheel. He was also injured by the caused accident, next to the frustration of his new cool and expensive bike damaged at the first ride.

Not sure, but maybe a thing like this would have avoided this accident.
But sure, rear mech protectors, in general also chain ring and other interestingly designed protection equipment got soon unpopular, young bikers may not know at all any longer.

Interesting update to this - it's sold - but the fun thing is - it went to the original owner. The chap who owned it from new in 91/92 and raced on it noticed the Tioga decal on the seat tube, we confirmed the postcode stamped in the bottom bracket and he picked it up last week

Back