1991 Klein Pinnacle (finished on page 25)

Update: really big thanks @pw_pw_la 😁 , I never knew of this modern ControlTech product called "Controltech Terminator", adds 40mm (20mm each side), 38g, changes my 535mm bar to 575mm, perfect, apparently discontinued? Just ordered a pair off FleeBay for $23USD. What a great product! Now I can use my preferred grips as well 👍

Cheers

Update: really big thanks @pw_pw_la 😁 , I never knew of this modern ControlTech product called "Controltech Terminator", adds 40mm (20mm each side), 38g, changes my 535mm bar to 575mm, perfect, apparently discontinued? Just ordered a pair off FleeBay for $23USD. What a great product! Now I can use my preferred grips as well 👍

Cheers

Or.... you could use a pair of wine corks. It will flex (think of it as shock absortion) but weighs next to nothing and costs nothing.

At the swap meet after putting the frame in my car I was on the hunt for wheels 🧐

Thanks @Retro_Roy for pointing out the set with Mavic 230 SUP and M737 hubs. Lightest wheels I've put on the scale. Double butted spokes and alloy nipples 😍

Not sure about the 3DV nipple color but we'll see about leaving or carefully removing it.

They are not very period correct but I'll let it go with them only being a few years newer.

I had great successes converting them to 130mm spacing last night and not one grinder was used. While swapping only the cassette body to seven speed the the axle to 130mm I was able to reuse all the other bits (accept the cassette body dust cap which has a much bigger opening.

Very nice wheels
View attachment 664019
Won´t you have to redish the rear wheel after going for a shorter axle? Btw.... i love the look /geo/stance of this bike, bad paint and all.

Those brake levers work great but they weigh a ton. If you can get a pair of dia compe SS5 you will save 100grams and still have great braking.
Actually the SS7s aren't too bad, about 180g vs the SS5s around 140. I run SS5s on two of my other bikes and love'em. We'll see down the road if I decide to make other changes. We'll see how the budget looks, I'm gonna be around $700ish. The Flite saddle on order cost more than the frame :LOL: but it looks pretty mint in the photos

Won´t you have to redish the rear wheel after going for a shorter axle? Btw.... i love the look /geo/stance of this bike, bad paint and all.
Thanks for the kind words, I'm liking the stance, etc as well, just picked up a possible fork (Spinner) I think will fit the look better, we'll see tonight.

Good point on the dish, it is off a smidgen when placed in the drop outs but clears the frame well, I haven't inspected the way it looks from behind yet though, another thing to look at tonight👍

Missing noodle on your handle bar system
Yes, really a disappointment but is what it is unfortunately, I'll be using a steerer tube hanger for the front brake, just grabbed a cheap steel one what will undergo some polishing before it goes on officially, I like this option better the fork crown hangers or big bulky alloy hangers, it'll look
something like this:

Hanger.JPG

My MC1 is not like others I have seen. I've not seen one without a noodle. I also recently noticed the logo is not very typical with MISSION CONTROL by Klein rather than the Klein symbol/logo and word like this:
Stem.JPG

I picked up this MC1 in the mid 90s from a second hand store for $50 so was a good score even back then

There were both. Mission Control and regular KLEIN Logo on the early 90s handle bars. I do have a well renown contact and source in the UK you can send your handle bar to to get a noodle welded back on super accurate like the original! Absolutely great guy! And in here in the forum as well - I am very sure!

All of them without a noodle had it cut off. The ones without noodle were for suspension forks which came a little later.

Back