1991 Klein Pinnacle (finished on page 25)

@Imlach I’m now on the trail of Montana spray paints, looking promising, thanks for the suggestion 😁

Luckily there seems to be a few local retailers. Curious if you think oil based enamel such as Rust-Oleum primer and clear would play nice or best to get the Montana stuff to be safe? Also, does it spray on normal? Smooth like typical rattlecan? I’d be looking at the Fluorescent options, been told they are alcohol or lacquer based

Right on, thanks David! It was great watching you rip around the swap meet in true pirate fashion making all those scores!

@Imlach I’m now on the trail of Montana spray paints, looking promising, thanks for the suggestion 😁

Luckily there seems to be a few local retailers. Curious if you think oil based enamel such as Rust-Oleum primer and clear would play nice or best to get the Montana stuff to be safe? Also, does it spray on normal? Smooth like typical rattlecan? I’d be looking at the Fluorescent options, been told they are alcohol or lacquer based
Montana has a great selection of colours and in my experience they are more durable, with better coverage. Montana gold are low pressure and with the right caps you can get really good results, I've had both good and bad experiences with the caps they come with.

If you're confident with rustoleum I'd probably recommend that, amazing high gloss finish.

Montana is great but shares a bit of traits with spray.bike, if you go Montana I recommend the gold line, as its low pressure, gives better control. Plenty of light coats, let it dry a bit, light coat again.

Montana has a great selection of colours and in my experience they are more durable, with better coverage. Montana gold are low pressure and with the right caps you can get really good results, I've had both good and bad experiences with the caps they come with.

If you're confident with rustoleum I'd probably recommend that, amazing high gloss finish.

Montana is great but shares a bit of traits with spray.bike, if you go Montana I recommend the gold line, as its low pressure, gives better control. Plenty of light coats, let it dry a bit, light coat again.
Thanks @Imlach good to know, trouble with Rust-Oleum and similar is finding a fluor green suitable, nothing so far. Rust-Oleum have one but I’ve used it before: good chance of corners/lines staying white and the more applied the darker green it becomes.

I’ll approach to Montana option with caution and go see a local retailer tomorrow 👍🏻

Thanks @Imlach good to know, trouble with Rust-Oleum and similar is finding a fluor green suitable, nothing so far. Rust-Oleum have one but I’ve used it before: good chance of corners/lines staying white and the more applied the darker green it becomes.

I’ll approach to Montana option with caution and go see a local retailer tomorrow 👍🏻
For colour choice you really can't beat Montana - and for price. At least here in the EU. Closest to Montana Gold line is MTN94, both low pressure. Give it a go and play around with some different caps to see which has the best spray for your application, could even change it up dependent on which bit of the bike you're painting. It's generally not advised to mix paint brands, so find one you like.

Last edited:
Well I am taking the plunge @Imlach, it looks like really good paint.

I'll need to change my approach to waiting overnight between coats and try keeping coats thinner and more of them

Do you have experience/opinion on Montana's Varnish spray cans? I was planning to use the gloss version for the top coat

Well I am taking the plunge @Imlach, it looks like really good paint.

I'll need to change my approach to waiting overnight between coats and try keeping coats thinner and more of them

Do you have experience/opinion on Montana's Varnish spray cans? I was planning to use the gloss version for the top coat
I am bad at varnish/lacquer so I tend to wax polish and frequently repolish

I have only used their paints and primer, had good experiences, but as far as I know their clear coats etc should be perfectly good and durable. It's grafitti paint after all. So weather resistance is important to them.

But if you're going with a varnish, I'd go for the same brand as paint, but for the greatest durability I guess you need that 2k automotive stuff.

Were they cheaper than spray.bike where you are? I imagine montana has a pretty big following in Canada

Were they cheaper than spray.bike where you are? I imagine montana has a pretty big following in Canada
Good point about sticking to the same family of paints with the clear/varnish. I plan to do a test sample before the frame at each stage to be on safe side. Stripping that frame was many hours of ugliness :LOL:

They were less expensive than spray.bike, four cans cost 66% less than the spray.bike order. No shipping helps a bit. Oddly enough prices vary in Vancouver from Benjamin Moore retailer one to the next. One was $15 per can and another was $20 so not super cheap. I feel lucky to have found all of the cans needed in town. Amazon wants over $50 for the fluro green (acid green Montana calls it, kind of psychedelic :cool:) was lucky to find it for $15.

But all in with taxes, shipping/currency conversion, still 66% cheaper. I watched a video from MonkeyShred, he was quite happy with it and clearly favors it over spray.bike which he's also reviewed, nice to see a couple of his challenges and how he solved them before I take a second crack at it

Good point about sticking to the same family of paints with the clear/varnish. I plan to do a test sample before the frame at each stage to be on safe side. Stripping that frame was many hours of ugliness :LOL:

They were less expensive than spray.bike, four cans cost 66% less than the spray.bike order. No shipping helps a bit. Oddly enough prices vary in Vancouver from Benjamin Moore retailer one to the next. One was $15 per can and another was $20 so not super cheap. I feel lucky to have found all of the cans needed in town. Amazon wants over $50 for the fluro green (acid green Montana calls it, kind of psychedelic :cool:) was lucky to find it for $15.

But all in with taxes, shipping/currency conversion, still 66% cheaper. I watched a video from MonkeyShred, he was quite happy with it and clearly favors it over spray.bike which he's also reviewed, nice to see a couple of his challenges and how he solved them before I take a second crack at it
Monkeyshred is more honest than the oldshovel. I like his stuff, but generally tend to stay away from YouTuber's as I live in an echochamber and will only hear myself. (just kidding)

Glad it was cheaper, Montana definitely is superior to spray.bike. Spray.bike is formulated as a grafitti paint but their own branding etc makes it cost a fortune, and also the fact that they're not aiming it at a large market, they WANT it to be bicycle specific, because they know that's where mucho dolares are made. I've been in touch with the founders of Spray.bike and they seem like nice folks but the customer service is eeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh and they seemed kind of clueless to be honest.

Montana is well established and has such a lovely colour selection. Do you get German Montana in CA? Like the Gold line?

I found that with montana, light coats, let it dry a bit, light coat, wet sand in between layers as required - get it super smooth. Then varnish. I'd stick with their varnish, but if you want to splurge on something else then proper expensive 2k automotive clears will do the job. Depends on how Klein-like you want the whole thing.

Back