1991 Dawes Off Limits

XTSTIMAN

Senior Retro Guru
Picked this up a couple of weeks ago, dusty and dirty. Previous owner said he probably only rode it about 10 times.
Awesome colour, with a metallic pink shine in sunlight and the Geomax forks are cool!
Will be servicing/upgrading in the future with some period XT. Although a sin to change her from stock, just cannot get on with the chunky levers and shifters and the cantilevers are similar to a Diamondback Ascent project in the line.
No lightweight at 13.2kg, but rides nice. IMG_20220611_103207983.jpg IMG_20220611_103115239_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
so nice, I agree the colour is lovely and very distinctive. Nothing at all wrong with upgrading parts, the frame has enough quality about it to make the step up, you can preserve the catalogue bits for future use, but while you're riding it then fit whatever suits your needs. 👍

Swap to xt for sure.....but tbh, that lx kit was pretty good stuff. Far better than the latter day stuff.

Great project.

Hi @XTSTIMAN, sorry for hijacking your thread... I managed to get this one a few days ago: dawes-off-limits.jpg I always wanted a 90/91 Dawes with a GeoMax fork and magnum tubes, not easy to get one in Germany...

What might be interesting: i *think* your one is '91, mine is '90: that is, i think the 90ties models are 'smooth' (🤣) welded between top tube and seat tube:
dawes-off-limits-2.jpg
Taking a very close look at catalogues i guess this is the 90ties model... Your one with the full lug is much nicer, really, but we have to take what we get here ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, and great to see another saved and on retrobike.
Thanks for the catalogue link, downloaded, and I think you are right, mine is a 1991. Title edited
Put some pictures of yours on the 'show us your Dawes' thread.
Would love a Raw Nerve, think the colour is awesome👌

Put some pictures of yours on the 'show us your Dawes' thread.
Will do so when it's build up again... Needs some tlc, not in that good state like yours, anyway all the original parts are still there - even the tires are still quite good. Saddle is missing...

Would love a Raw Nerve, think the colour is awesome👌
Yes, sadly missed a frame here which was offered for local pickup only...

Back