1990 Raleigh Dyna Tech Cronos Titanium (56)

You’ve done a terrific job, it’s really beautiful. One of the nicest looking bikes I’ve seen in a long while. Absolutely love it!

Well, it’s complete!

I didn't to get time to customise the pedals like I’d wanted, and I was impatient in the end, so went for a pair of grey NOS Look Carbo Pro pedals instead. I might go back to the other pedals in the future, but for now I just needed to ride the thing.

View attachment 881960

Bar tape was my usual favourite for bikes of this era, but the bar end caps have been another thing I’ve been patiently looking out for. There’s two decent ones in this lot anyway.

View attachment 881964

Lastly, was the downturn decal, which I oddly had a pair of which were leftover from the other Cronos.

View attachment 881967

The first test ride was fantastic, and there’s no surprises there as I already own one of these. However, the C Record is always a show stopper out on the road.
The bike was faultless, which is more than can be said for my Sidi shoes…

View attachment 881968

About 3 miles from home (thank god), the sole just fell off one of them. I was on a busy country lane without any pavements, so decided I’d walk 50 yards or so to a road where there were pavements either side. Just as I was halfway there, the other sole fell off…

View attachment 881969

It’s the strangest bloody thing that’s ever happened to me. I rode back with both soles in my jersey pocket, as I will strip the shoes for spares to be used on others I have.

I did manage a picture of the bike in the wild, although I was limited on my location choice.

View attachment 881970
Don't bin the shoes until you've tried this stuff. It's brilliant. One of my SPD shoes fell apart in much a similar way. I used this stuff on them and they've not missed a beat since.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the comments.
With regards the Sidi issue, I didn’t mention that the plastic around the strap adjusters was perished upon closer inspection, and the heal part had unglued itself from the main body too. I don’t normally bin stuff, but these were only going to give further problems shortly down the road.

Back