1989 Specialized Stumpjumper Epic

trailwright

GT Fan
As I'm an impatient bugger, taking the time to photo and narrate a build thread is not usually my cup of tea. I'd make a shite youtuber with all that editing and camera repositioning. However, I'm making an exception for this build as I've been waiting to get a new garage built and this has been delayed, and it gives me an excuse to fondle componentry!

Having been involved in the scene from the late 80s I started my local riding with guys who owned Specializeds - mainly Rockhoppers and one Team Stumpy, but for some reason I never did own the brand until only a couple of years ago. My mate's Team Stumpy was always the one I had my eye on sourcing, the Epic being just too far into unicorn territory to contemplate. The thing I've always found interesting though is that the road version of the Epic is relatively speaking not too hard to find for sale, I've got three of the things, but I've yet to see the offroad Epic on ebay, and the very few that have been shown off on this site seem to mainly be continent purchased.

And then, out of the blue, an '89 appears here in almost perfect condition, and in my size - 21.5" C-T. This gave me a dilemma. Because the frame is in such good nick my original intention of sticking on a spare XC Pro 7 speed groupset has been dropped, and I've decided as far as is reasonably practicable, to create a catalogue spec build over the coming weeks. This means standard XT 7-speed, but that's ok, eh?

Some teaser shots to get things started...

Attachments

• 20240606_131325.JPG
    20240606_131325.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240606_131339.JPG
    20240606_131339.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240606_131407.JPG
    20240606_131407.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240606_131417.JPG
    20240606_131417.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240606_131427.JPG
    20240606_131427.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 32
I believe it has been professionally renovated a good few years ago and then never built up afterwards. I have to do it justice with the build now!

Here's what the catalogue spec looks like. I'm definitely not going to be able to get the Ground Control tyres unfortunately, and as I want to ride it comfortably the Turbo saddle will be substituted for a Flite as I've got on every one of my other bikes. It came with a very smooth XT headset rather than a black Specialized alloy, but I think it makes sense to leave this as it'll match perfectly well the rest of the parts and save wasting money.
1717694351696.png

What's surprising is the speccing of an XC Pro seatpost, despite you would think an XT post being the logical choice at the time. Now, as I said above, I had considered hanging an XC Pro group set on the frame, and as such I happen to have an XC Pro post in 27.0mm diameter which is what is required.

Unfortunately, XC Pro posts only come in 300mm lengths. I've done some measuring and for the bloody thing to fit my inside leg takes it about an inch above the limit line. I like the silverish contrast though with the rest of the frame so I've already ruled out putting in the logical 330mm XT post.

But I have a plan!

Great looking frame! I remember studying the 88 and 89 Specialized catalogues a lot when I was younger.

You could get Ground Controls, but that might the whole budget of your build spent on period correct tyres! ;)

You're dead right about the tyres. I couldn't bring myself to spending hundreds on GCs from the US when I remember buying them new for not very much, and my children would have to go without shoes / clothes / food for the summer! Still undecided here but I think like many others it'll be the Panaracer route!

Back