1989 GT catalogue (karakoram)

AshtanoJoe

Dirt Disciple
Can't seem to locate the 1989 catalogue, can anybody tell me where to find it? I have an '89 GT Karakoram frame and fork and would like to find out the original specs.
Thanks,
AnJ

Not sure if anyone has one, some ads maybe... you'll have to track one down, scan it and upload to the archives for us all to enjoy.

Re:

About a year ago I was searching for it and came across a post in a forum with a link to just the Karakoram page of the 1989 catalogue, but now can't find it again (should have bookmarked it).

Specifically I was wondering what components were on it. I recall it may have had a Suntour drivetrain, but I'm not sure if that's correct. Also, what was the difference between the Karakoram and the Karakoram K2 models?

probably easier to search for karakoram in the colourway, then figure it out from there, I think the K2 had Deore DX and the regular had Mountain LX...but could be completely wrong on that.

the colour or paintjob.
From memory of the old days there was a red speckled one, a blue/yellow one a purple one a grey speckled one and yellow/orange stripey one, a white one and a few others (over a few years, can't recall which is what) over the Karakoram, Karakoram K2 and Karakoram Elite.
Look up gt karakoram on google images and look for ones the same as yours and see if they are original builds, go fron there.

Re:

Okay, found an example. I think you're right about Mountain LX, and looks to be an MT-60 crankset, and either Mountain LX or MT-60 shifters. Doesn't seem to have the RM-20 rims though. Still it would have been good to find details of STA / HTA and other dimensions just for the record.

(apologies for the size, photobucket re-sizer will not work for me)

Might be of some help to you but not brilliant quality. This shows a Deore groupset

Your best bet would be to PM gm1230126

He'll be able to help you out for sure

Re:

Thanks raidan, but that's actually an '88 model that you've linked to. It has the zebra like, crackled black on white paint job rather than the granite grey of the following year. The difference is not obvious from a distance. The corresponding page of the '89 catalogue is posted somewhere in a thread in an MTB forum, I've found it before, but can no longer turn it up through a google search. Oddly enough, I remember the frame spec was Tange double butted tubing, whereas mine has Tange triple butted tubes.

Back