1982 Salsa Scoboni #5 "Restoration" *Final Photos Page 11*

Re: 1982 Salsa Scoboni #6 Build Restoration

Personally, I'm not that attached to original paint jobs and from the photo the original livery of the bike was pretty meh. I lean towards repainting to eliminate corrosion and protect the frame for the long term. I like the current paint job personally, but its your bike in the end. If a faithful restoration in components and paint is what you want, then I think you need to do it.

dirttorpedo":xim3u8g0 said:
Personally, I'm not that attached to original paint jobs and from the photo the original livery of the bike was pretty meh. I lean towards repainting to eliminate corrosion and protect the frame for the long term. I like the current paint job personally, but its your bike in the end. If a faithful restoration in components and paint is what you want, then I think you need to do it.

Thank you for the support dirttorpedo. That is the direction I am leaning towards. My plan is to ride the bike for the unforeseeable future and my heart is saying go with the original imron BMW metallic grey.

theproscloset":3a8efpch said:
dirttorpedo":3a8efpch said:

Thank you for the support dirttorpedo. That is the direction I am leaning towards. My plan is to ride the bike for the unforeseeable future and my heart is saying go with the original imron BMW metallic grey.

:cry:

theproscloset":120d8gni said:

Thanks for sharing the bike with us. I really enjoy your posts where you bring in a piece of mountain biking history and telling us some of the back story. I'm looking forward to seeing how the restoration goes.

More info about the original batch of 6:

FWIW, almost all of the original bikes have been repainted at some time or other: #1, #2, #4, #5 (This bike). One bike from the original batch is completely original, like it has been hanging on a wall for 30 years. It is either #3 or #6.

rumpfy":2txqrg9u said:
theproscloset":2txqrg9u said:
Hey Rumpfy, just to clarify for history sake. It is my understanding that Terry did not pen the Salsa logo, Ross did. Can someone confirm this?

I thought he'd penned it, but I could be wrong. It might be in an old MTBR VRC post somewhere. I'm sure you've looked up his forum handle...just needs some light digging to confirm.

Looks like a lot of various people were involved with the creation of the Salsa logos and graphics. Terry was the printer.

If its going to be a rider then just ride it, paint looks stable- no big rust issues?. IMO you should ride it for a year or so then think about the paint.

CTK":udndkbru said:
If its going to be a rider then just ride it, paint looks stable- no big rust issues?. IMO you should ride it for a year or so then think about the paint.

If I keep it it will be a rider but I would ride it a TON more if it wasn't this paint job. The paint isn't for me.... IMO. At the end of the day, if I would ride it more if it was spec'd to my personal taste, than I will paint it. If someone here is passionate about preserving this paint than I will pass the project over to them for exactly what I paid for it.

C'mon, somebody. Step up to the plate. Luckily it's not my size or I would have another fire sale.

Back