1950 - Holdsworth Cyclone-De-Luxe

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
Just collected this gorgeous one owner bike from the daughter of the original owner. It was advertised as the frame only and was very cheap and local to me. When I collected it I politely asked if they knew what happened to the original wheels and the lady found them in an outbuilding of the house.
So it’s basically complete, it needs a load of tlc but they were so happy to see it go to someone who will bring it back to life!
Pics:
IMG_4838.jpeg IMG_4839.jpeg IMG_4840.jpeg IMG_4841.jpeg IMG_4842.jpeg IMG_4843.jpeg IMG_4844.jpeg IMG_4845.jpeg IMG_4846.jpeg
The lugwork is stunning, I can’t find a serial number under the bb - where else should I be looking? Hopefully I can get the forks out and see if there’s anything stamped on the steerer.
I’d love to know the model year, any ideas - I guessed 50’s, the seller said maybe 40’s but she wasn’t sure.
The twin bottle holders on the bars are so cool, shame they’re so badly rusted. And the Brooks.. I’m hoping it’ll come back around with some proofide but we’ll have to see.
Can’t wait to strip and clean this, I think I’ll soak it in wd40 for a few days while I’m away from home and have a go at it when I get back.
Looking forward to this, the original paint should clean up well.. 🤞

Thanks! A truely lucky find for me, I just hope I can do it justice, I’ve not properly restored a bike this old before. I’ll likely be back with a few questions along the way.
I’m not thinking of making it as good as new, but if I can clean it up, service the moving parts, and get it riding well again I’ll be happy.

Thanks! A truely lucky find for me, I just hope I can do it justice, I’ve not properly restored a bike this old before. I’ll likely be back with a few questions along the way.
I’m not thinking of making it as good as new, but if I can clean it up, service the moving parts, and get it riding well again I’ll be happy.
Just do what you've done before and you'll end up with a lovely bicycle. It will never look like new and for me that's a plus. A life well lived.
Evaporust and an oily rag are your friends 😊Plus steel wool, Scotchbrite and a lot of sovol and wax.

Cyclone de Luxe is 1948 - 1951: https://nkilgariff.com/holdsworth-cyclone-de-luxe/
That link also mentions "Holdsworth lugged stem to compliment the ornate frame lugs" on a 1950 example.

Edit:
And what are those hubs ?
I've got some Nuovo Tipo large flange in the post for a 61 Cyclone - very similar look.

Edit2:
Here's one on Ebay showing the serial number on the BB

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
That must have looked beautiful when it was new. Watching with interest. I'll be interested to see how to treat the surface rust on the frame since you want to keep the original paintwork. That's a process I'm still researching for my own bike I'm restoring.

That must have looked beautiful when it was new. Watching with interest. I'll be interested to see how to treat the surface rust on the frame since you want to keep the original paintwork. That's a process I'm still researching for my own bike I'm restorin
wood bleach, oxalic acid (both are the same product) you can buy it by the pound fill a child pool use about a tablespoon per liter soak over night and it ll rinse right off. Then soak in baking soda to stop the process

Latest posts

Back