16" Aqua Zaskar (Marmite Update 5/5/14)

Re:

In all seriousness though, Girvins are an absolute b@&tard to fit, especially when you have to pull them completely apart first to change the linkages.. And then I put them all together only to find out that I'd forgotten to route the gear cables inside the fork legs rather than around the outside where they'll rub like buggery.

Oh well, job for tomorrow :D

On the plus side, WOW are they stiff! Took the bike out for a little spin along the Marina before and they track really well. They feel so light too - the bike feels like a proper little whippet! One issue I have at the moment is with the damping (or lack of) - the forks top out really badly at the moment, but I'm hopefully going to order a Risse Genesis to replace the Girvin shock once I can sell my Rocky Mountain Blizzard frame (which is an absolute bargain by the way ;))..

Re:

Was never a fan of proflex back in the day, My mate had one and forever seemed to be working on it. They were an iconic design in 90s mountainbiking as far as full sussers went, so i kinda like em now. Girvins on a zaskar though... Erm :? :?
Have you kept the judies? As i have a feeling you may want to change back at some point ;)

Chris

Re:

What is it with all this "Girvins on a Zaskar" business? :LOL:

They're actually more period correct (95/96) as opposed to the 97 Judys which I took off it ;)

I think it looks ace. It's my bike and you can't play :LOL: :LOL:

Re: Re:

Member 10502":3n4mi6wq said:
Its hideous thats what (no offence intended) but as always, each to his own :p

Chris

You should see what he's doing next, I heard its a Klein adroit with STX and rst hi-5's :eek:

:LOL:

(this is of course a joke)

Re:

I think you're right you know...

Those Girvins just look a bit out of sorts. Not helped by the fact that I need to run about 50 million headset spacers just to get them to fit properly..!

Currently PMing a very nice chap about a set of Judy FSX ;)

Anyone fancy a mint set of Girvins??

Re:

Barneyballbags":26ge9re2 said:
I think you're right you know...

Those Girvins just look a bit out of sorts. Not helped by the fact that I need to run about 50 million headset spacers just to get them to fit properly..!

Currently PMing a very nice chap about a set of Judy FSX ;)

Anyone fancy a mint set of Girvins??

The forever changing zaskar :LOL:

....in all fairness i dont think the specialized forks are the way to go either ;)

Sean

Re:

Well I don't want another pair of SLs (too normal!)
I don't want Mags (too flexy).
I don't want Manitous (well, I do but they'd look silly with V brakes).
I don't want AMPs (because they'll fall apart and bits are getting harder to come by).
I like the Girvins (but I concede that they look a bit daft :oops:).

I was thinking about some early Fox F80s, but then I saw the FSXs. To stop them being referred to as "the Specialized fork" I shall simply remove the FSX decal and replace it with a standard Judy one. Problem solved :LOL:

Oh, and if I went down the FSX route I'll be changing the saddle and grips too.. It never ends!

Re: Re:

Barneyballbags":3ib5aqfv said:
Well I don't want another pair of SLs (too normal!)
I don't want Mags (too flexy).
I don't want Manitous (well, I do but they'd look silly with V brakes).
I don't want AMPs (because they'll fall apart and bits are getting harder to come by).
I like the Girvins (but I concede that they look a bit daft :oops:).

I was thinking about some early Fox F80s, but then I saw the FSXs. To stop them being referred to as "the Specialized fork" I shall simply remove the FSX decal and replace it with a standard Judy one. Problem solved :LOL:

Oh, and if I went down the FSX route I'll be changing the saddle and grips too.. It never ends!

That's what I'd do with the fsx but red with the turquoise frame don't look right, manitou's are flexy too but you can get the braces without the canti hanger so that's an option... This is a difficult frame to match forks to I know

Sean

Back