Your biggest frustration with retro bikes

I love it all apart from being in a situation where the amount of bikes I need to clean goes above three.......... :facepalm: ........stressful!........

minor_LEGEND":3lnqp78q said:
The ever shortening supply of period tyres.

+1

Also , building up a bike that you think looks good , only to see someone elses that you like more :roll:

all kinds of silly things

but the one that gets on my tits this morning is the buoyant market for second hand cassettes. They often cost more than a decent new one

The throw away comments concerning 'old bicycles' frustrate me the most.

Very few old bikes were genuinely shit, only those that tried to emulate the 'mtb' with extremely cheap parts - enter the Raleigh Activator - a genuine shit bicycle.

The rest, for a few years, worked really well as all terrain bikes. You could take any number of entry level frames and enjoy yourself on a day out in the countryside without fear of much going wrong.

Early full suspension follows a clear route from all the early magazines showing them as DH only bikes. Marketing told us they were the future with 'all mountain' tags and such like so unproven designs were thrust out year after year with some gaining terrible reputations.

The humble all rigid MTB had gone into a cul-de-sac with the marketing mans dream all suspension all singing & dancing bike taking over.

The frustrating part comes in when the armour clad magazine believer comes along, shouting and stamping their 'rights' over the trails for 20 minutes shouts a bit more and drives home, muddy bike on the rear or the roof like a dead stag, all trophy like.

Thats how it is. No rose tinted. Early suspension sucked. I wasted loads of money on daft forks as they never worked. Early disc brakes were fantastic, cantis sucked but then they had been designed that way with the 'low pro' shite. Early wide angle cantis can lock a wheel if you can be arsed to take the time over them. V-brakes were great but lazy.

'Fun' has been designed out of cycling. If its too hard to cycle over rough terrain you have the wrong bicycle - sod the fact that you may be overweight and the desk job has robbed you of any glimmer of so called 'fitness'. Buy a more expensive bike and you'll be an instant trail centre king.

Hi. My name is Mark and I like the bikes I bought as a lad as much now as I did back then.

I don't have any in my case. I just love them. Many things have improved over time but IMO bikes and cars are starting to loose their soul these days. Who needs a foot of sus travel when you have double that with your arms and legs ?

legrandefromage":3az0rpjz said:
The throw away comments concerning 'old bicycles' frustrate me the most.

Very few old bikes were genuinely shit, only those that tried to emulate the 'mtb' with extremely cheap parts - enter the Raleigh Activator - a genuine shit bicycle.

The rest, for a few years, worked really well as all terrain bikes. You could take any number of entry level frames and enjoy yourself on a day out in the countryside without fear of much going wrong.

Early full suspension follows a clear route from all the early magazines showing them as DH only bikes. Marketing told us they were the future with 'all mountain' tags and such like so unproven designs were thrust out year after year with some gaining terrible reputations.

The humble all rigid MTB had gone into a cul-de-sac with the marketing mans dream all suspension all singing & dancing bike taking over.

The frustrating part comes in when the armour clad magazine believer comes along, shouting and stamping their 'rights' over the trails for 20 minutes shouts a bit more and drives home, muddy bike on the rear or the roof like a dead stag, all trophy like.

Thats how it is. No rose tinted. Early suspension sucked. I wasted loads of money on daft forks as they never worked. Early disc brakes were fantastic, cantis sucked but then they had been designed that way with the 'low pro' shite. Early wide angle cantis can lock a wheel if you can be arsed to take the time over them. V-brakes were great but lazy.

'Fun' has been designed out of cycling. If its too hard to cycle over rough terrain you have the wrong bicycle - sod the fact that you may be overweight and the desk job has robbed you of any glimmer of so called 'fitness'. Buy a more expensive bike and you'll be an instant trail centre king.

Hi. My name is Mark and I like the bikes I bought as a lad as much now as I did back then.

What he said.

The realisation that I am going to have to break a few down or sell them. I like to have each bike in a state that I can just check the tyres and ride it. Sadly the space situation will no longer allow for this with 9 full bikes and a shared shed. It's all going terribly wrong.

Back