Specialized Hardrock 1988?

Great news they are 26”, they did look 26”, but mine looks so different due to frame size I wasn’t 100% certain. Indeed with the riser/bmx/motoX bars this will ride like a large BMX and will be perfect for what you want to use it for.

Certainly not the lightest, but uber cool. Must have been stored away somewhere dark as the fluro yellow lettering still looks quite vivid.

Nice project!

Great news they are 26”, they did look 26”, but mine looks so different due to frame size I wasn’t 100% certain. Indeed with the riser/bmx/motoX bars this will ride like a large BMX and will be perfect for what you want to use it for.

Certainly not the lightest, but uber cool. Must have been stored away somewhere dark as the fluro yellow lettering still looks quite vivid.

Nice project!
Yeah the drive side looks bright but the non drive side is pretty faded. The decals on the non drive side are also scuffed, I was gonna look at wet sanding them with a fine sand paper to take the edges off. Do you think that would work? I don't want to buy new decals as I like the overall patina of the bike. Also to fit the riser/BMX/ moto X bars would I need to install a 1"to 1 1/8 inch stem converter so I can fit a bigger stem for the bars?

I'd leave the decals. Patina is perfection in my eyes. Just a good clean, T-Cut & polish (avoid the decals with the T-Cut!) and that frame will clean up lovely.

Guess you have a choice with what you want to do with the stem. Get an old 1" BMX quill stem, or get a convertor quill with 1" to 1 1/8" ahead/threadless that will give you more options of stem style and bar clamp DIA. I'd be looking at handlebar options first as you need to try and determine rise/width/style and clamp size on bars might determine which stem you go with which will impact 1 1/8" threadless vs. 1" quill.

There are a few threads with 26" BMX/cruisers on here. For instance:
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/the-new-26”-cruiser-bmx-thread.472210/
Ask the relevant posters about their bars if you like them. There is a less friendly forum called LFGSS. It's full of hipsters and they love 26" with x1 conversion & BMX bars. Tread carefully on there! ;) 🤪 but you might find some more visual inspiration!

Back