Wot happened to fat bikes

My bad, but based on the popularity of them a few years ago, in my eyes they have disappeared. The bike industry is guilty of constantly trying to resell the wheel to us, I am just a little ignorant to all these new concepts that come along.

I’m an accidental fat biker, about 3 years ago I stumbled across a cheap piranha fat fish bike on gumtree ,7speed, disc brakes with 26”x 4.0”bulbous tyres. I took this odd looking tractor bike across local fields and estuary trails by the time I got home I was completely knackered, covered from head to toe in mud with a ridiculous grin on my face.It was the best fun I had in years a £100 well spent.
There is no shame in riding a dirty fatty now and then🤣

I’m an accidental fat biker, about 3 years ago I stumbled across a cheap piranha fat fish bike on gumtree ,7speed, disc brakes with 26”x 4.0”bulbous tyres. I took this odd looking tractor bike across local fields and estuary trails by the time I got home I was completely knackered, covered from head to toe in mud with a ridiculous grin on my face.It was the best fun I had in years a £100 well spent.
There is no shame in riding a dirty fatty now and then🤣
£100 that's cheap, any pics of it?

£100 that's cheap, any pics of it?
Hi Eric
Here is the piranha fat fish it is the same as a coyote fatman bike an entry level fat bike if you are on a budget.
I upgraded the handlebars and got some part worn Origin8 tyres and sold it on eBay to help fund my Cube Nutrail.
Really great fun bikes as long as you don’t take yourself too seriously.

Attachments

• IMG_1390.jpeg
    IMG_1390.jpeg
    880.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1507.jpeg
    IMG_1507.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2110.jpeg
    IMG_2110.jpeg
    839.3 KB · Views: 14
My bad, but based on the popularity of them a few years ago, in my eyes they have disappeared. The bike industry is guilty of constantly trying to resell the wheel to us, I am just a little ignorant to all these new concepts that come along.
I understand where you are coming from but Fatbikes were created out of need ( not by the corporates) and it's just that the industry jumped on the bandwagon for a little while. Now that ship has sailed it's back to it's proper niche again with people riding them out of love and not fashion. Still plenty of us fatbikers out there, you may have to look a little harder for us but that's the way we like it😁

I understand where you are coming from but Fatbikes were created out of need ( not by the corporates) and it's just that the industry jumped on the bandwagon for a little while. Now that ship has sailed it's back to it's proper niche again with people riding them out of love and not fashion. Still plenty of us fatbikers out there, you may have to look a little harder for us but that's the way we like it😁
Even better now they are unfashionable as they have become more affordable, i picked up a Cube Nutrail pro 2016 model off eBay for only £350 last month. My plan is to convert it to an ebike using a bafang 48v 750w mid drive motor paired with a 48v 17.5ah Samsung battery. I already have the conversion kit but I have to lengthen the axle from 73mm to 120mm using an axle extension kit I also purchased press fit adapters.
Hopefully the build goes to plan.

Attachments

• IMG_7402.jpeg
    IMG_7402.jpeg
    984.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7398.jpeg
    IMG_7398.jpeg
    974.2 KB · Views: 10
Maybe I need to try one as just don't get it .... at all

and I'm not baiting anyone here

Appear to require a lot of effort for no obvious return
Generally move at walking pace,
Kinda look silly
Weigh a ton
You can hear them coming a mile off and often piloted by a hipsters with the silly "look at me" grins on his face and sweating profusely

and in defense of Minor Legend I don't see many round my neck of the woods any more....

To be fair (and before any goes to flame me) I've never sat on one let alone rode one, but then we have no snow nor sand around these parts and 26 inch with 3 x 12 to 18 does just fine

Kinda look silly
Weigh a ton
You can hear them coming a mile off and often piloted by a hipsters with the silly "look at me" grins on his face and sweating profusely

To be fair (and before any goes to flame me) I've never sat on one let alone rode one, but then we have no snow nor sand around these parts and 26 inch with 3 x 12 to 18 does just fine
They probably weigh less than you think..( well a decent one..not one made of pig iron)

They do take some effort to get to speed but they keep their speed if you ride them aggressively enough, I throw mine around like an Enduro bike at Dalby.

I hope you are not classing me as a Beardy Hipster there Mr Spud but I sort of know what you mean but the guys I met up with at the Fat Bike Festival were all surprisingly normal ( well nearly all of them) and the Fat Viking athletes are in a different class to us mere mortals.

Yeah they look quite silly at times and they do sound like rolling death.

You definitely need to try one and it may surprise you.

Kinda look silly
Weigh a ton

and in defense of Minor Legend I don't see many round my neck of the woods any more....

you would be surprised at how little they weigh, the cube nutrail pictured above is only 14kg and it absolutely flies. I mainly use it in the winter across the muddy fields and estuary trails.
For me it’s just for fun, if you get the chance give a fatty a try.
Guaranteed smiles.

I hope you are not classing me as a Beardy Hipster there Mr Spud but I sort of know what you mean

Lol I could have written "they are all ridden by over paid Dentists" 🤪 😂 :LOL:

but then you would know I was taking the piss and also baiting you !

Latest posts

Back