Workshop/Workspace... Show us yours!

Looks like a great project @Tootyred . Not the best time of year to start such a project. Look forward to seeing how this turns out, but what an amazing start, lots of head scratching angles and cuts there! 🤪🤣

Thinking of building a simple rack for all the old wheels that I may need some day.

Hypothesizing a bit first:
- for storing in my dry loft with small floor area but ample ceiling space
- as cheap a structure as possible
- as compact as possible
- modular system that can be built upon and expanded vertically or doubled horizontally
- space for min 20 wheels to start, possible to double

1st idea:
- 2x2 inch wood structure, built with deck screws
- 2 levels vertically to start, space for 10 horizontally
- plastic covered metal hooks to hang the wheels and prevent them from banging or resting against each other
- cover with tarpaulin, hanging on nails

any inputs or suggestions?

Thinking of building a simple rack for all the old wheels that I may need some day.

- as compact as possible
- modular system that can be built upon and expanded vertically or doubled horizontally

1st idea:
- plastic covered metal hooks to hang the wheels and prevent them from banging or resting against each other

If you want it as compact as possible you may want to stagger the wheels in terms of height or depth. This will also mean that the axles/QR's don't knock/bang against each other which could cause cosmetic damage if that is an issue for you. Would be slightly more involved in making and use more material though due to blocks/spacers to create lower height hooks or second batten for the set-back set of hooks.

That's smart.

Staggering means also that F&R wheels of a matching pair can be stored together, "one in front, one staggered behind".
Don't be "too Smart" and make them a bugger to get in/out though! Also need to consider what wheel sizes you have to store.

Always test out spacing on a scrap piece of batten and sense check if it works

Also maybe leave some space on the end just in case some wheels appear from nowhere and need storing! ;)

- as compact as possible

1st idea:

20241014_122557.jpg
20241014_122540.jpg
20241014_122517.jpg

Don't know if this helps. Staggered wheels. Two rows of battoning with plastic coated storage hooks.

Cheers

Back