Whyte PRST-4...XTR disc brake conversion

damage

Dirt Disciple
Hello all

I'm looking forward to looking around the site over the next few weeks and months. I have an immediate question though and searching the net hasn't come up with anything.

I have a PRST4 that has xtr v-brakes...which are nice enough but I'm used to disc brakes and want to fit them instead. I want to stick to vintage xtr discs if possible but I like the current shifters on the bike which are built into the brake levers. I've never had these before and really like them...press down or up on the brake levers to change gears.

My question is can I keep these brake levers/shifters and change the brakes to xtr discs? I expect this means I will have to settle for cable brakes rather than hydraulic...but I'm out of my depth here. I have decent local bike shops so if necessary I can ask them to sort it for me.

TIA for any help
Cheers
Karl

Attachments

• PXL_20240609_121615459~3.jpg
    PXL_20240609_121615459~3.jpg
    917.5 KB · Views: 28
You won’t be able to use hydraulic brakes and keep the current shifters. Your options would be keep the shifters and use a cable operated disc calliper, or replace them with standard shift pods and use hydraulics.

Cable discs are ok, but not as powerful or consistent as hydraulics. Have used Avid BB7’s before and they were adequate at best.

Thank you, you confirm my latest thoughts. I expect the cable discs will be an improvement over th v-brakes so I'm happy enough with that. The bike is not about optimum anything but an era appropriate upgrade will be welcome. I'll start scouting eBay etc. Cheers

Just watch out and make sure you get mtb versions. Drop bar versions don’t work well with v brake levers due to the cable pull differences.

Ah ok, that is good advice. Thank you very much. I will be doing lots of research before I buy anything and might still visit a local bike shop first

I happen to have a set of xt hydraulic brakes and shifters from the same era as your xtr. Aside from colour, I'm not sure there's a lot of difference but I'm sure there must be something.

If you want matching xtr, I can't help but they pop up on eBay a fair bit.

I happen to have a set of xt hydraulic brakes and shifters from the same era as your xtr. Aside from colour, I'm not sure there's a lot of difference but I'm sure there must be something.

If you want matching xtr, I can't help but they pop up on eBay a fair bit.
Thank you. I want to keep it all matching xtr though...not 100% sure why tbh but it will be easy enough to do so will do it 😁

Back