Whyte e120 rear axle help

Success. It took a bit of effort but finally got the other side off. I have no idea what the previous owner was thinking with the massive lump of threaded metal when all that was needed was a bolt. Speaking of which, I'm going to need 2 as one is missing, one is rounded.

Them there's the big gripper locking assembly. One side is not in the best of health, it also has some lay. Pic below. The other side has a nut so assume this is there to allow adjustment to get it all locked together in a sweet spot. It also looks like a bit may have broken off? Can these be replaced?

I have to admit, the previous owner didn't care much for the bike, I've never come across a rear wheel, freehub and cassette so encrusted in thick, floppy grease/oil, and there was so much weird metal twine or some such material wrapped around the axle I could barely get a cassette tool in there to remove it.

It has had some protective outcome, as underneath it all was, after some cleaning, a vcg hope pro 2 freehub. It was black before I hit it with degreaser, but now gold again and not much wear to the alloy splines which was a bonus I wasn't expecting.

Oddly I can't pull the freehub off as I seem to recall being possible, so that's the next challenge aside from trying to sort the big gripper bits and get some nuts for the axle.

Attachments

• PSX_20240630_003658.jpg
    PSX_20240630_003658.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 8
  • PSX_20240630_003710.jpg
    PSX_20240630_003710.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 8
  • PSX_20240630_003741.jpg
    PSX_20240630_003741.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 9
  • PSX_20240630_003750.jpg
    PSX_20240630_003750.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 9
the one's I worked with had a lock nut on the end so you set the depth to get a nice QR clunky clunk then locked it in place using a screwdriver (I think) in the end of the shaft and a spanner on the lock nut. it was normally pretty much set from the factory. Your's looks a bit like it's sheared though. It also looks like it's been wound right the way in too, so I'm guessing a few other issues.

you might be best talking with Whyte about parts.

the one's I worked with had a lock nut on the end so you set the depth to get a nice QR clunky clunk then locked it in place using a screwdriver (I think) in the end of the shaft and a spanner on the lock nut. it was normally pretty much set from the factory. Your's looks a bit like it's sheared though. It also looks like it's been wound right the way in too, so I'm guessing a few other issues.

you might be best talking with Whyte about parts.
I've been speaking to Whyte, they don't have a lot of spares, only a drive side dropout with the bolt thing included. £30 though 😟

I've been speaking to Whyte, they don't have a lot of spares, only a drive side dropout with the bolt thing included. £30 though 😟
and here we see the reason for not having proprietary systems. :(

I haven't got access to my lathe right now, but it might be worth looking at costs for online fab shops to reproduce some of the parts for you.

Latest posts

Back