Why no love for Cannondale?

I remember them being somewhat prone to cracking, or a least that was the reputation I remember. Only one of my riding buddies back in the day had one...and yep it broke.

In defense of the brand that is common in any light weight aluminium frame and is why I don't run the material. If you ride an aluminum frame long enough in will break. I won't run aluminum handle bars anymore either for the same reason. The overbuilt aluminum frames like the Specialized M2 and GT's for example do seem to hold up well.

Ive bought 2 since 1990 and owned 6 (all waranty not pinched !) all down to use seat post shims i even had longer shims made in the atempt to combat the failings.

John":31ftonfx said:
Always percieved Cannondale as a premium brand back in the early 90s. Maybe things went a little astray later in the decade but the rigid alu frames with 1 1/4" headsets I always liked. I liked them so much I bought one in preference to an s-works steel.

Anyhow there seems to be little interest in the brand here? Any reasons why I wonder? Are the paint jobs not flashy enough ;) Or is it because everytime you mention cannondale some smart alec will post "crack'n'fail" ha ha ha. For what it's worth I gave my 93 dale a fair hammering over 10 or so years it was built. And it neither cracked nor failed...

I've had a few cannondales over the years- great bikes. I have a 93 m1000 and an 87 3.0 right now, and neither have cracks.

I had a basic M200,i've got a pic of it but no way to scan it in.It had mostly the Alivio Group,with the silent hub on the rear ,coda stem bars and s/post
I liked their stiffness and although mine was the bottom end, it rode lovely,better when i fitted an Indy

owned 2 3.0 series m800's. peperoni forks never lasted long, and 1 bike cracked, the other one was stolen. the bike itself was good, might build another if i find one for a good price.

i had a super v too, if they where good enough for missy, they had to good enough for me, but the bike sucked big time,

i recently bought a delta v for parts and liked the looks of it. front end was reasonable, but the back suspension made me seasick.

bitd i swaped a m800 for a klein and never regreted it!

I tend largely to ignore cannondale when looking as they seem overpriced ..also I prefer the flexi ride of steel over any ali bike

in truth I look at the dale range and only the lefty bikes appeal to me ..but then I also like the whyte prst-1

I wouldn't rule out a dale..it's just there are so many others I'd rule in first

Cannondales I've owned have included; 1992 M600, 1993 R500, 1996 Super V and a 2002 Gemini. Generally speaking, i like Dales - especially their road bikes. I think Headshocks and Leftys are horrendously overpriced for what they are and how they perform (poorly IMO). Dale had a bad spell in the late nineties too, when the specced "own brand" Sachs-in-disguise cheap sh*t parts to some pretty expensive bikes. I guess that was to off set the high labour costs of building in America, when most of the competition had gone off shore. Without naming any names, some Cannondale dealers were a long way up their own ar88s, and some of Cannondales UK reps were the same, which was a real turn off :?

I love my Dale, bought new by me in late '93 she's a early '94 model. Still it daily use and recently done the Verderers on it :D
06092011210.jpg

06092011209.jpg

31082011199.jpg

Latest posts

Back