Why no love for Cannondale?

This is an old thread.... :)

Anyway, no common love, but I do like them:

GroteFoto-RRIVS4TV.jpg

GroteFoto-YZTXLHDA.jpg

GroteFoto-NQIW4WUC.jpg

cce":3hlnlmlf said:
i started a 'dale project. halfway through i had an epiphany that it was bloody awful to ride, and sold it.

This.

When I was on my mission to get a retrobike to fix up as a winter commuter I test road a nicely pimped early 90's C'dale and found that I really didn't enjoy riding it. It was that bike that made me realize that the frame I built Frank out of was quite nice and that for what I was willing to plunk down for someone elses retrobike I could fix Frank's main issues.

back in 1988 when I was 11 my teacher (mr D P Hawkins if your out there sir) had an m series dale which I fell in love with, he's the reason I started mtbing, they were always just out of my reach financialy. so allways had a softspot for the early dales, the ones with the long chainstays

Many years later I was about to pick up a new 2004 f700 with a lefty when I saw a spesh enduro frame and bought that instead, so never got to own one, untill recently that is I bought a m400 but this was way too small so we had too part company, One day I will have an 18" black dale but untill then I will just look at everyone elses with envy.

Dont know why but Imho have always seen the kleins as a bit of a statement rather than a thoroughbred like the dales used too be, dont take that the wrong way as kliens are stunning machines and I would love one but early cannondale's are for me the best looking oversized frames ive ever seen,
(and I have had two zaskars)

IMAG1448.jpg

I always loved Cannondale Ok some are ugly some are cracky ...but it always was a bike to dream of ...untill now ...in Belgium the supermarkets are full of it , some are cheap (£500) and they're not made in the USA anymore. So for me no new cannondale anymore ... a retro one :) :) yes for me!!

f300bade.jpg

b164f776.jpg

The caad9 the last Hand Made One ! Very nice stiff bike!!

My 90 SM400 was the first "good" mountain bike I ever owned. The cool thing about Cannondales was the frames were the same, they just came with different components. So I could buy a SM400, bottom of the line and upgrade it over time to get what I wanted. At the heart of the bike was a light frame. I was never one to keep stock cranks, brakes, stem, bars, etc. anyway. So upgrading was an option.

I remember seeing the Cannondales in the showroom and looking at those FAT down tubes. They were a sight to see.

I still love 'Dales. I just got a NOS '92 SM800 "Beast of the East"

tintin40":2swmtcd4 said:
Sorry I was in the Klein camp for alloy mtbs. :cool: dales just didn't compare to to them in any dept.

I am with you, but many of us graduated from Cannondale High to The University of Gary Klein. :)

After 20 years of riding and buying bikes, I realised one day that just about the only bike that I had never owned was a Cannondale. So I bought a BAD BOY 700c Disc as an urban everyday commute bike so that I could preserve my retro collection. As a Graphic Designer I can understand why people like Cannondales as visually its a very good looking bike and I have had loads of positive comments from everyone that sees it, but as a bike it has to be the most unreliable, poorly made, heap of tat that I have ever bought! For the huge cost I thought that I was going to be getting a quality bike, but for the first time I was wrong. Try getting spares for them as well. My local bike shop won't sell or repair them any more, that tells you a lot. My old Konas are a million times better. Next time I want an urban bike it will be a good honest Boardman, twice the bike for less money! To sum up my Cannondale is a very good looking, head turning pile of rubbish. :cry:

Attachments

• DSCF8860.jpg
    DSCF8860.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 2,424
At least it turns heads, Shaun. Pretty sure it doesn't turn corners.

I'm a former Cannondale owner myself (1999 F400 and 2007 F6). Here's how I described the F400 elsewhere.

Raging_Bulls":3tx62r1s said:
It had the build quality of a prehistoric spear, was as reliable as a South-African dictator, cornered like the road was made out of vaseline, didn't brake and was too heavy to get it up to any speed. Apart from that, it was great.

I'm afraid the F6 wasn't much better. It actually spent more time in the shop than it did on the road.
- Both shifters (SRAM SX-5) failed several times. One front lever mechanism even collapsed without me ever using it. I went through 3 full sets.
- One of the V-brake arms broke (Cannondale-branded Tektro arms, and I never had problems with Tektro before).
- The rear mech (also a SRAM SX-5) collapsed when pulling away from a red light, before I planned to make the first upshift.
- The headset needed to be replaced because they forgot to put grease in it. Note that the fork is already assembled when you open the box, so it's not my LBS' fault.

It also handled with all the precision and finesse of a sinking boat. I managed to stand it for 400 miles before I sold it for less than it cost me to replace all the broken parts.

It's been the same with every American bike I owned or had the misfortune of riding (2 low-end Scotts, 4 Cannondales, 2 GTs and an Adroit).
As much as I like certain American bikes' styling, I think I'll stick with European ones. If I ever buy another American bike (Probably a Klein frame), it'll undergo some serious modifications before I'll even consider riding it.

Back