Why aren't good new retro rigid mountain bikes still made?

Re:

The Marzocchi Dirtjumper forks were so damn heavy and I really wanted a more direct feel on my old Kona Hoss, so I chucked on these relatively cheaply priced rigid forks and it's totally changed the feel of the bike. I think suspension forks are quite often just a bit overkill. I suppose anyone coming into MTBs is gonna want suspension, at least at the front. They've got a sleeker look and don't half lighten up the steering. Your teeth do rattle a fair bit on gnarly descents though!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 549
Re:

I'm pretty sure any top end custom frame builder could make you a new one. Won't be as cheap as a typical resto though.

superstar1":3atdfrxy said:
You need to look out for a 2013 Genesis Fortitude Race, there's still plenty available.

Really well reviewed I'd love one any age

There are loads of decent modern rigid mainly 29ers. Stooge frame and fork is £499 I think and lovely

I picked up a complete haro mary SS from eBay for £200. They don't appear very often. I've seen one other complete bike and three or four frames. I think they did an XC which was basically the same but with gears.

For around £200 you could get an on-one steel frame and suspension adjusted rigid forks. They sometimes have shop soiled stuff on eBay.

Ian

Re tyres there are a couple of 29er slicks on the chain reaction site plus a few fast rolling mtb tyres - schwalbe hurricane is one.

I'm looking for the Haro!

Ian

jonty":xi9dgbn2 said:
Thanks for that.
Aesthetically I find the 700mm wheel looks too big and the 26 inch just acceptable but then I'm into Moultons!

After I had finished building this one, partly inspired by Genesis Fortitude Adventure, I looked at the wheels and thought there's no way I'm riding that, I'll look like Coco the clown. After a few weeks ownership I now look at my old bikes and think the wheels look tiny and totally out of proportion!

In fairness though I look like Coco the clown no matter what I ride.

Attachments

• DSC00513.JPG
    DSC00513.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 480
Back