Why are thumb shifters so prized in the retrobike community?

Yes, with 6-9 speed MTB. After that the cable pull changes and I'm not sure - the mechs require more cable and I've never tried to see if there is enough. 10 speed road rear mech is compatible with 7-9 MTB so is also going to be OK.
What about 7 speed mech for 8 or 9 cassette?

I don't see any need to go higher but thinking either 9-1 or 8-1 sprocket for 7 speed hub. The 7 speed mech will handle it (depending on tooth size of course)? I just had a thought that since cassettes are modular I could just buy a whatever speed greater than 7 and just take of biggest sprockets until one fits couldn't I? There is usually a massive jump in the lower gears so just play around with -1 on that side til it works? The prices of cassettes are similar for those speeds until there is a huge jump for the latest 12/13 speed dinner plates and such.

As everyone else has mentioned, resistance to change and reliability borne of simplicity. It is after all a simple lever rotating around a single pivot, with very little to go wrong. And much like old manual cameras, you could jump on pretty any bike at any time and ride without thinking. And while I acknowledge my unwillingness to change is a character flaw :), I'll counter that there's nothing finer than an XC Pro thumbie, followed closely by an XT...

As everyone else has mentioned, resistance to change and reliability borne of simplicity. It is after all a simple lever rotating around a single pivot, with very little to go wrong. And much like old manual cameras, you could jump on pretty any bike at any time and ride without thinking. And while I acknowledge my unwillingness to change is a character flaw :), I'll counter that there's nothing finer than an XC Pro thumbie, followed closely by an XT...
If I buy a retrobike with some new fangled under trigger ones (stis is it?) is it going to be easy to switch to the classic thumbies, provided I could get my hands on some? How scarce are they?

If I buy a retrobike with some new fangled under trigger ones (stis is it?) is it going to be easy to switch to the classic thumbies, provided I could get my hands on some? How scarce are they?
If you want indexing it can get mildly complex, classic thumbies are either friction or limited to 8 speeds. You can convert Dura Ace downtube shifters with Paul's perches (but need to watch out for the differing road/mountain cable throw -- conversion widgets are available) and Microshift make "modern" high gear count thumbies. So, nearly anything is possible with a bit of faffing.

If you don't want them indexed then it's a piece of cake. If you want the clicks to line up with your rear shifts then it will range from reasonably simple to "why the hell doesn't this work". But isn't that the joy of it?

If you want indexing it can get mildly complex, classic thumbies are either friction or limited to 8 speeds. You can convert Dura Ace downtube shifters with Paul's perches (but need to watch out for the differing road/mountain cable throw -- conversion widgets are available) and Microshift make "modern" high gear count thumbies. So, nearly anything is possible with a bit of faffing.

If you don't want them indexed then it's a piece of cake. If you want the clicks to line up with your rear shifts then it will range from reasonably simple to "why the hell doesn't this work". But isn't that the joy of it?
No, I prefer no indexing!

Back