Why are mtb riders such wimps??

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
A general rant, and probably less about retrobikers than other mtb'ers, but why can't cyclists man up and ride on the roads and not the pavements.
As far as I'm concerned once you're past the age of 10/12 then stick to the roads. If you haven't got the confidence to ride on roads then stick to walking and push your bikes to wherever you're going to ride them.

This moan was brought on by my wife nearly being run over on the pavement today by two 30+ year olds wearing body armour :roll: :roll: :roll: and riding full sussers. Presumably they'd been riding the downhill trails a mile from our house, but were scared to ride in the traffic :evil: :evil:

Rant over - I feel better for that :oops: :oops: :oops:

P.S. I exclude road bikers from this, they know how to ride in traffic.

i hate riding on the road ,its far too dangerous
if i want to ride on the rode i'll do it on one of a selection of high powered motorcycles i own and not a bloody push bike

however when i do ride on the pavement with my bicycle i am always very curteous of other people

gerryattrick":o3hyn6fa said:
A general rant, and probably less about retrobikers than other mtb'ers, but why can't cyclists man up and ride on the roads and not the pavements.
As far as I'm concerned once you're past the age of 10/12 then stick to the roads. If you haven't got the confidence to ride on roads then stick to walking and push your bikes to wherever you're going to ride them.

This moan was brought on by my wife nearly being run over on the pavement today by two 30+ year olds wearing body armour :roll: :roll: :roll: and riding full sussers. Presumably they'd been riding the downhill trails a mile from our house, but were scared to ride in the traffic :evil: :evil:

Rant over - I feel better for that :oops: :oops: :oops:

Well said,

In my town (which at 155 years old is "old" for my area) riding on sidewalks is legal. Once you leave the town boundaries it is illegal. I don't see many adults riding on the sidewalk around here unless they have a little kid following them on bike.

dirttorpedo":kqkrkuzp said:
In my town (which at 155 years old is "old" for my area) riding on sidewalks is legal. Once you leave the town boundaries it is illegal. I don't see many adults riding on the sidewalk around here unless they have a little kid following them on bike.

in true canadian form thats the wrong way round isn't it (eh)

I always ride on the roads in london, it's fun and I get to play with the cars....of course my air horn helps but seriously if you are careful and ride with dominance and confidence you'll be fine. I imagine also that years of motorbike riding also helps with the confidence and general road sense!

gerryattrick":g4o3e5s4 said:

visit my gaff on a sunday and i bet you change your mind.

the lycra-clad cretins that ride around here have no clue! think 3 (or more) abreast around blind bends on country roads and your about 1/8th of the way there.

I try to commute when time & weather allow but i won't at weekends for fear of road-rage backlash caused by gaggles of club cyclists who seem to think riding in swarms of 20+ is the right and proper thing to do every weekend. :twisted: :evil:

I sometimes ride on the pavement as road are dangerous and full of idiots in cars .

nothing wrong with riding in large groups on country roads , cars can wait . :cool:

Thing I dont understand is if your say a mountainbiker throwing yourself down the trails we ride is dangerous. On the road there are rules which if you observe then all is well and although it seems cars are out to get you at times facts are they're not, only nutters try to kill cyclists. Accidents will happen, getting hit by a car on the road or smashing headlong into a tree off road are equally serious.

Do the cyclists of today graduate through cycle profficiency as I did as a child. If not and it seems that way to me then thats an idea that needs resurrected.

I have cycled on and off road without incident since I was 5 and I'm now 41. I'm cautious, I ride within my skill level, I stay observant, my signals are clear, my presence is noted (lights, reflective kit) my bike is fit for purpose. Its not hard.

Pavements are for pedestrians roads are for vehicles which bikes most definitely are !

Back