who makes modern off-the-peg steel frames nowadays?

Re:

Steve Goff is doing my La Vie Claire reproduction - he has an excellent reputation and is a first class chap to deal with. Really knows his stuff and no pain in the arse customer (ie ME! :oops: ) is too much hassle for him.

Keep an eye on my 1986 La Vie Claire Bike thread in the Spring time when I should have the frame and forks delivered.

:cool:

In the US
Surly does the pacer
Velo Orange does the Campeur (touring) and Pass Hunter (pass hunting)
Soma does the Smoothie and the Extra Smooth
Pake C'muter - cyclocross
Salsa

I'm sure there are a bunch of others too. Most of those US ones are under $600 before shipping. Sometimes you can get better deals on eBay for clearance frames.

Re: Heron Bikes

A company came out in the USA, Heron Bikes, I don't have to tell you who they are emulating. The company has had some topsy-turvy times; I went to their site, we'll see but I do think some of their rides look nice.

Flattery is the best form of imitation.
cc429-5he6.jpg

DAD019_19.JPG

Other companies too, I haven't thought of this in a while.

Just looked that up. Not impressed tbh. Think I'll stick with my Jackson!

Mike

Mike, you're not impressed, why not?
IMHO i think anyone who is producing a quality steel frame bike and not the mass produced Alu/Carbon frames these days is worth a mention.
It is not retro and will never replace a Jackson/Mercian or Carlton...etc, but is still a steel frame and they look very nice therefore cannot be a bad thing??

Chris.

Re:

Of course anyone producing steel road frames should be applauded, but the prices are the highest I've ever seen !
And I don't like the rear dropouts, but that's just personal taste

Mike

Latest posts

Back